Relocation of Consumer Unit CU | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Relocation of Consumer Unit CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jayc86

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Just after a little advice really - i am currently undertaking a complete home renovation.

I have a really ugly looking Plastic CU on the wall as soon as you walk in the house which I am looking to relocate ideally under the stairs

There is a single rated meter installed inside the Electric Box within an enclose brick building attached to the property - see the picture.

I have purchased a Wylex Switch Fuse which i understand if this is installed cable from the switch fuse can then route to the new CU which is a Schnider Easy 9.

The intended route of the cables from the switch fuse is through the joists what cable is suited for the run through the joists?

Also can the S/Fuse be installed within the Meter cabinet?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Relocation of Consumer Unit CU

OK so the broom cupboard is now the new location looks great in there tidy in there

The cables coming from the house into the CU can i use flexible black conduit and the appropriate glands into the top of the consumer unit?

I assume if i feed the meter tails in via the rear entry knockout and use the grommit strip to protect the harsher edges of the knockout this would be ok?

OK so the broom cupboard is now the new location looks great in there tidy in there

The cables coming from the house into the CU can i use flexible black conduit and the appropriate glands into the top of the consumer unit?

I assume if i feed the meter tails in via the rear entry knockout and use the grommit strip to protect the harsher edges of the knockout this would be ok?

I can't imagine any self respecting electrician being happy to install it that way, you really should discuss this with the electrician who will be doing the work before you order any materials.

Also be aware most of us will charge more for using materials supplied by a customer as they rarely supply exactly what we need.

You could use flexi conduit for the job but I think in a broom cupboard who might be better using a big piece of trunking or even box everything in after its all finished.
Some MDF boxing that is made up well would look neat and tidy,.

Reply to Relocation of Consumer Unit CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net