Currently reading:
Replacing fused spur and hard wired kitchen appliance (fridge freezer) with a standard plug socket

Discuss Replacing fused spur and hard wired kitchen appliance (fridge freezer) with a standard plug socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
DIY'er here...

After my fridge failed (less than 5 years old) I replaced with a new one.
The old one was hard wired in a wall socket connected to a fused spur above the fridge.

So I replaced the hard wired socket with a normal plug in one.

When I switched the electric back on, the fused spur light wouldn't come on and socket didn't work.

Any ideas what could've happened ?
Should I replace the fused spur socket also ( I already tried replacing the13amp fuse to no avail ) ?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

only thing i can think of, is the outlet changed to a socket hasnt been done correctly.... did you leave its switch on, if it has one?

Did you do any work to the switch fuse above the countertop?
Are you sure it is on the same circuit as other sockets in kitchen? Sometimes the freezers were wired seperately to avoid defrosting if other appliances tripped the kitchen off

only thing i can think of, is the outlet changed to a socket hasnt been done correctly.... did you leave its switch on, if it has one?

Did you do any work to the switch fuse above the countertop?
Are you sure it is on the same circuit as other sockets in kitchen? Sometimes the freezers were wired seperately to avoid defrosting if other appliances tripped the kitchen off
Thanks for reply. Much appreciated,

Thats what i was thinking re the socket- Im sure I wired the plug correctly-do you mean the switch on the plug (if it was on -would that've affected it when I changed it ) or the spur switch?
I didn't do any work to the spur one- I even replaced the fuse on it to see if that was it- but no.
yes-was sure it was on same circuit as all the kitchen sockets as they all went off when I switched them off at mains.

Think its worth replacing the spur socket (even though changing the fuse made no difference ) ?

It can be easy to lose the sequence of things.
If the fused spur has a neon indicator and this isn’t coming on then I wonder if
-the original reason was confusion at the consumer unit, maybe the RCD had tripped as mentioned abive
-an attempt to fix this resulting in fitting a non-working fuse
-now the consumer unit has everything on but a broken fuse means no neon and no supply to socket below.
So check everything at CU is on and check the fuse is a known good one.

The only other thought is that while fitting the socket below, the cable from above was moved a little and a loose connection above is now completely adrift.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Replacing fused spur and hard wired kitchen appliance (fridge freezer) with a standard plug socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock