Replacing US plug with UK one | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Replacing US plug with UK one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RichSimm

Hi,

I've bought several table lamps that each power a 7w E12 bulb. They have US plugs and were sold to me with very dubious looking US>UK adapters. (I ordered online from Thailand and was promised UK fittings. I know, I know...) The connections are poor and the bulbs often go when switched on. I've had them so long now and the complexities of sending them all back, let alone the inevitable to and fro, means speaking to the maker isn't an option that I'm considering.

I want to replace the US plug/adapter combo with a 3 amp UK plug. Can I just cut the cord and rewire it? There will probably be no earth wire. Does that matter? Does the cord need any specific shielding if it has a UK plug on it?

Lots of info online is conflicting. I hope you can help. Thanks!

It has a CE mark on it, so it is OK to fit a UK plug.
That assumes the CE mark is genuine.
It won't be genuine as those fit everything sockets don't comply with any UK standard.
Here is a picture of my transformer with broken US plug. I am planning to cut it off and rewire a 13 A uk type g plug with 3a fuse to it as shown on the side. The power rating on this transformer is 5000w but I don’t plan to use more than 2500w with appliances like rice cooker, tv and blender ( ( not more than two of them at any given time).let me know if it is okay
You will need a 13A fuse in the plug.

Reply to Replacing US plug with UK one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back