Restaurants Pizza ovens keep loosing power | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Restaurants Pizza ovens keep loosing power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi was looking for some input guys. I recently completed a restaurant a few months ago and today i got a phone call this morning about the 3 new pizza ovens they had put in not working correctly. They are pulling about 40amps each and are connected into 63a commando sockets. Each works fine when on by themselves or even when 2 are on but when a 3rd is introduced the 3 seem to be loosing full power and cant really handle the workload. I'm going back first thing tomorrow but can't think of anything. It's a 3phase system in place and was balanced evenly when installed but it looks like some more equipment has been put in so could it be to do with the balancing of the loads.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Oh by the way the ovens are all single phase and all on a different phase should have said sorry.

All i can say is check all the connections in the board and check the supply , if the loadings have increased it may be that the incoming supply cannot cope with the additional loads i would certainly check loadings and connections

What size is the supply ? What is the supply ASC. Are they three phase ovens ie 40A per phase. What does the supply voltage drop to when they are all on.
No he said they were single phase, 40 amps each, he doesn't know yet, he had a phone call this morning and is going there in the morning to have a look, he just wondered if anyone had any pointers before he goes to site

Not sure mechelec going in tomorrow morning but will check. I know they are single phase because they are plugged into 3 x seperate 240v 63A commando plug. Was just to see if it sounded like a obvious fault to anyone because i cant see it being loose connections from the hard wiring side as i tested every circuit a few months ago and all perfect readings so would be surprised if it was that.

I dont suppose you know what equipment is in use until you get there , The loading is the problem there I would have thought , could be that a lot of this additional equipment is not spread evenly among the phases ,, As you already stated,,

Oh forgot to say ,,,slow cooked pizza is the new thing nowadays ,,LOL,,

Last edited by a moderator:
MDJ;930616[I said:
]No he said they were single phase, 40 amps each,[/I] he doesn't know yet, he had a phone call this morning and is going there in the morning to have a look, he just wondered if anyone had any pointers before he goes to site

You may notice this was added when the op edited the post so was not posted when I initially replied. I was providing pointers what is your point ??????

Maybe you would like to add some electrical input or perhaps you could just give pointless flippant answers as usual.

You may notice this was added when the op edited the post so was not posted when I initially replied. I was providing pointers what is your point ??????

Maybe be you would like to add some electrical input or perhaps you could just give pointless flippant answers as usual.
I was trying to help, not trying to be difficult, I am sorry you think otherwise, as for adding any input, I was waiting for the op to answer the questions already raised. as for flippant answers, at nearly 400 thanks here I think some members are grateful for the help I try to give, again I am sorry if you think I was trying to be anything other than helpful.

Not sure mechelec going in tomorrow morning but will check. I know they are single phase because they are plugged into 3 x seperate 240v 63A commando plug. Was just to see if it sounded like a obvious fault to anyone because i cant see it being loose connections from the hard wiring side as i tested every circuit a few months ago and all perfect readings so would be surprised if it was that.

You will have to check volt drop when they are all on and also current clamp each one tomorrow. Hopefully this will give you a better idea if there is actually a fault or it is just a load/volt drop issue. If they are all being affected and they are on separate phases it could be either but would suspect neutral problem if it is a fault. Good luck.

I was trying to help, not trying to be difficult, I am sorry you think otherwise, as for adding any input, I was waiting for the op to answer the questions already raised. as for flippant answers, at nearly 400 thanks here I think some members are grateful for the help I try to give, again I am sorry if you think I was trying to be anything other than helpful.

You have received thanks for 6.95% of you posts. I have received thanks for 10% of mine. But who's counting eh. I have said it before and I will say it again quality over quantity ; ) lol

Logically - assuming that the appliances themselves are functioning properly, and all terminations are good, and the phases are all reasonably balanced and within the applicable ratings and cable calcs then you haven't got a problem. So, therefore if you HAVE a problem it will be one of those three things. And from what the OP describes (knowing that he hasn't seen it yet), if the problem only happens when all three appliances are on, and each appliance is on a separate phase, then you're left with one common component. The Neutral.

Logically - assuming that the appliances themselves are functioning properly, and all terminations are good, and the phases are all reasonably balanced and within the applicable ratings and cable calcs then you haven't got a problem. So, therefore if you HAVE a problem it will be one of those three things. And from what the OP describes (knowing that he hasn't seen it yet), if the problem only happens when all three appliances are on, and each appliance is on a separate phase, then you're left with one common component. The Neutral.

Thank you, you put it so much better than I did in post 9 above ; )

Whats this, a game of cluedo... It was the neutral, he was lurking in the distribution board waiting to come loose.

Whats this, a game of cluedo... It was the neutral, he was lurking in the distribution board waiting to come loose.

That's exactly what fault finding is, yes. It's about looking at what is in front of you with a clear mind, logical deduction and the tools of your trade.

Reply to Restaurants Pizza ovens keep loosing power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net