Ring circuits | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Ring circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have a ring circuit for the lounge and a ring circuit for the bedrooms. One of the sockets in the lounge is fed from the bedroom ring circuit, whether for convenience of wiring I dont know.
My question is, is socket fed from bedrom ring okay as it is. Reason I ask is that there is a test due on house electrics in a couple of months, if it not okay I can get it rectified before test. Cheers Graham

You can have as many circuits into one room as you wish and generally ring final circuits can cover many rooms provided the maximum square footage is not exceeded.

Could be anything, Oscar.... Up/Down, Left/Right (if staircase up the middle) Or front/back like you say....
As long as the loads are fairly well balanced.

My house has upstairs ring, downstairs ring, and the kitchen has its own ring... so 3 circuits.
There was only one socket in the garage, which was a spur from the bedroom above....
Ive added another ring circuit for the laundry machines on a different wall in the garage.... i could have used a 4mm radial, but i had 2.5 to hand, so i made it a ring.
There are 2 sockets in the kitchen that come off the downstairs ring, just for ease of adding them in... (back to back with dining room sockets)

For the OP, is this test going to be for an EICR? which is actually just a report, giving a satisfactory or unsatisfactory outcome... and it should only be unsatisfactory if its dangerous (ie bare wires showing where people can touch it) or potentially dangerous... (ie undersized cable... where an overload could melt the cable before tripping any device in the fuseboard)
You could have a whole page list of recommendations, but not neccesarily dangerous.

Houses built in the 60's often only had one RFC to supply all the sockets in the house, having said that it was only one double in every room. The kitchen might have got a few more.

A double in every room?

Try a single in every room…

A double? That’s luxury that… bloody luxury…
You didn’t get a double in my day… oooh no.. you were lucky to get half a single and be grateful for it….

😂

You get the drift..
LOL My budget rewires 1 double and 1 pendant per room.

Hi, I have a ring circuit for the lounge and a ring circuit for the bedrooms. One of the sockets in the lounge is fed from the bedroom ring circuit, whether for convenience of wiring I dont know.
My question is, is socket fed from bedrom ring okay as it is. Reason I ask is that there is a test due on house electrics in a couple of months, if it not okay I can get it rectified before test. Cheers Graham
So many people, yourself included, seem to worry about having an electrical report done on there property.

It is like my wife will spend all evening cleaning and tidying because the cleaner is coming in the morning.

A report is just that, it is a piece of paper or email giving you a professional opinion on the safety of your electrical system.

It is generally far better to do nothing (other than a quick tidy up so things are accessible) in preparation for the inspection and subsequent report as it will give you a far better understanding of the general condition.

Nobody is sending the report to the "electrical police" or anyone else for that matter, it is for you to do with as you wish.

If you are renting the property out, you are obliged to send a copy of an eicr to the tenant, however if you disagree with the one that has been provided to you, it is always an option to get another company in to do a different one. (note: the findings may be better or worse)

A double in every room?

Try a single in every room…

A double? That’s luxury that… bloody luxury…
You didn’t get a double in my day… oooh no.. you were lucky to get half a single and be grateful for it….

😂

You get the drift..
EVERY ROOM, EVERY ROOM?

When I was a nipper we had to use a tin bath by the fire in the back room, lit by candles.

Electricity was only allowed in the front room and even then, mum wouldn't turn it on because it scared her and dad wouldn't turn it on in case it cost him.

Mind you, we were in Glasgow and Scott's have never been known for reckless spending!!

Reply to Ring circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net