rubber cables | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss rubber cables in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lookatrabbit

hi, where do we stand with these horrible old rubber cables, should you stay away from them as i know they are very old and can be a problems

inform him of the danger, no earths, degradation of cables etc if he says its too much its up to him, but issue him with a PIR then theres no comebacks on yourself ie "the electrician never told me that" when his house burns down.

issue Electrical danager notice!!!!! tell him copy goes to Building control and insurance and his insurance will be Void if he has an electrical fire...!!

hehehehe!! not that i would do that!! leave the hard sell to the cowboys like CBW and Mr E lol....!!

You could direct him towards approved doc p page 39 which says beyond safe working life and should be left undisturbed until replacement(it also says it should be tested by a competent person though how to do that without disturbing is beyond me)

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink Some people ,companies no matter how much evidence you put their way still say its to dear But the same pillock will go out and spend thousands on tiles paper and paint to make things look nice Again another reason Im glad I do 95% commercial

The guy has now asked to rewire, or a price to start with how do you all prefer to price? By point or estimate your time and work out materials

Time and materials, also allow for moving furniture etc.

On habbited rewires I get a cleaning company in for an hour or so every night and allow for a proffessional carpet fitter at the end of the job.

too expensive.does it not make you laugh,lets break it down another way,if they pay say £2500-3000 how is that expensive,especially as the work involved,people dont batter an eye lid at shelling out 4k for central heating,rewire more time and effort.i did see a house rewired recently in trunking,it was that ugly it made me cringe,was gonna take some pics but you can imagine,

I hate trunking too!

Had to do 2 houses recently, both landlords insisted it was a surface rewire in trunking.

Both were wired in old rubber.

Didnt give me any job satisfaction!

Reply to rubber cables in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net