runing power to a garden shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss runing power to a garden shed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paul341

can any one give me guidance on runing power to a shed .
i have been told by the elecsa tecnical department you can run from consumer unit from the rcd or seperate rcbo and you do not need another rcd in the shed

i was planing on using a 40a mcb using 6mm t+e and 2.5 3 core swa to a garage cu containing a 6amcb for lighting to operate 2 lights and a 16a mcb to operate 2x2gang sockets and i beleive these cu come as standard with a 30a rcd so would it be best to not conect to the rcd side in the house cu regards paul

you seem to have it planned. RCD in shed is better as you then don't have to go to the house to reset if you get a fault in the shed. only thing wrong, is you need to use 6mm SWA from your T/E in the house. you can't protect 2.5mm at 40A. are you going to export the house earth using the armour and the 3rd core? proper SWA glands both ends with banjos?

edit: by using 6mm SWA, you have the capacity to increase the load in the future. if you stick with 2.5mm, you will be limited to 24A and have to fit a 20A MCB, so for the extra cost of 6mm SWA it's worth it.

Last edited:
You can run from th RCD side of the consumer unit, or an RCBO, but it would be more convenient if the RCD was in the shed.
However a lot will depend upon your installation method.
30mA RCD protection is required for cables that are concealled in walls at a depth less than 50mm, that do not have any other form of additional protection.
As such if your T&E is concealled in a wall at a depth less than 50mm, you will have to run from the RCD side of the CU or use an RCBO.
I note that you intend using 6mm² T&E and 2.5mm² 3core SWA. Is there any particular reason for this?

hi thanks for your coment i was using 2.5 swa as its the only size available in the electrifix catalogue i guess go to cef and get 6mm swa

How is the cable getting to the shed? Buried? Overhead? Clipped direct?
Just a thought, thats all..................
If its buried, best not get Engie 54 involved:smiley2:

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the cable getting to the shed? Buried? Overhead? Clipped direct?
Just a thought, thats all..................
If its buried, best not get Engie 54 involved:smiley2:

Indeed, your quite right there, why get it right, when you can have someone ''big and daft'' sort it out for him... lol!!!!:smiley2:

run it across the driveway in 2" scaffold tube. this will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. 1. the scaffold tube will protect the cable from mechanical damage. 2. it will tell the wife when to stop the car.

you also need to take the distance into account , think you'll find the electrical whole salers alot cheaper than Electra fix there cable prices are almost £20.00 more a roll if you run the SWA back to the CDU and gland it there ensuring the armour is glanded then there will be no need to RCD protection for the cable becauses its then protected by an earthed SWA ,then you can have the RCD in the shed , if you have a plastic CDU then connect a coupler to the CDU with a bango for the earth on the base so you can earth the SWA and gland into the coupler make life a tad easier

hi thanks for your coment i was using 2.5 swa as its the only size available in the electrifix catalogue i guess go to cef and get 6mm swa
swa goes up to 16mm in my electrifix book?? are you really registered with elecsa??

just read previous posts, scary stuff :90:

Last edited:

Reply to runing power to a garden shed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net