Running cable over / through garage blockwork | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Running cable over / through garage blockwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am finishing up my NAPIT LCL training, got all of my modules, 18th edition and I+T all done- heading out to support another sparky as a freshly retrained 53 year old. Just doing the final design assignment to finish up the course, which involves a virtual garage extension to a house, built in rendered blockwork. I have to spec out the whole job, which is mostly doable but had one query - running sockets to interior of garage, the notes don't mention whether blocks are lightweight or solid concrete- in the real world I'm guessing they'd more commonly be the lightweight variety.

Either way, I can either run cable in conduit, or chase into the blockwork - if I run on surface of blocks in conduit I presume I have to use surface mount switches/ sockets, I don't believe that there is an elegant / mechanically solid/ regulation friendly way to transition from surface mounted conduit into back boxes? If so I've not come across it in my own limited practical experince flying solo.

If I chase into the walls, I'll just use female glands into back boxes which is fine- however, as this wall is not going to be plastered then any covering over would have to be done with flat PVC cable cover which will remain visible - is this considered orthodox? I've tended only to use that to cover over cable which is going to be covered in drylining/ skim.

My initial instict was to use oval / round conduit into surface mount boxes, but because of washing machine / tumble dryer fridge proposed for garage, a little blub in my head suggested flush mounting sockets might be a better plan.

Any thoughts would be gratefully taken on board.

Whenever I've installed electrics in a garage like this, I've mostly used round plastic conduit (20 or25mm) or surface trunking (typicallly 25x16mm) - with the appropriate surface boxes to suit the method. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay to chase it in (well apart from one wealthy customer I have who is more concerned about aesthetics than money).

the notes don't mention whether blocks are lightweight or solid concrete- in the real world I'm guessing they'd more commonly be the lightweight variety.
I doubt it. Assuming it's even double skinned with a cavity, I'd expect the inner leaf to be dense blocks. Lightweight blocks cost more.

Either way, I can either run cable in conduit, or chase into the blockwork - if I run on surface of blocks in conduit I presume I have to use surface mount switches/ sockets, I don't believe that there is an elegant / mechanically solid/ regulation friendly way to transition from surface mounted conduit into back boxes? If so I've not come across it in my own limited practical experince flying solo.

Surface conduit and accessories. If PVC conduit use female adapters into accessories and if galv use flanged couplers. Don't even think about oval conduit - that stuff will look terrible.

Reply to Running cable over / through garage blockwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net