running power to shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss running power to shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

deano44

Hi all im new here so please be nice lol , im planning a job to run electrics to a shed so i can run 2 small chest freezers and a tumble dryer , my plan is to come out of my main consumer unit in the house with 6mm twin and earth cable from a 45 amp mcb , i will be running this cable through plastic conduit outside the house above ground about 30 metres in length , inside the shed i have a 5 way consumer unit running 2 6amp mcbs for 2 strip lights and 2 120 watt security lights , i have 2 32amp mcbs running 2 separate ring mains with 4 double sockets off each , i also have a 10mm earth cable of consumer unit in shed connected to an earth rod
in the ground , the question is , will this set up be man enough for what i need or have i missed something out ??

Do a forum search, there are quite a few 'Shed Supply' threads, they may help you :)

Deano there have been, and will be more threads on how to run power to my shed / Garage you are a skilled person in you're own right, I couldn't build a cabinet or anything made of wood as good as you, do yourself a favor mate, by all means do the donkey work, but my advice get a qualified sparky to design your installation.

The plan is to get a qualified person to make the connections each end i just wanted advice on the items i was going to buy was the correct amount/rating for the job its intended for

Why on earth are you running T&E in conduit? Why the rod?

This is notifiable work so don't forget to contact LABC and pay the fees.

I was told because the cable is running outside the house it needs putting in conduit , does it not need the earth rod in the ground at the shed end ?

If you want to do the main grunt work yourself then this is fine, but the design of a circuit for a specific purpose is best designed by someone who can see the installation, calculate the correct size of cable for the loads expected, plan an appropriate cable route for a suitable cable and decide based on the installation suitable protective measures for the circuit.

Any decent electrician, once you had accepted him for the job, would let you know the correct materials to purchase and where and how to run the cable, there may definitely be a need to allow him to inspect the work at stages to ensure a safe installation and then the electrician would be able to safely inspect, test, connect and certify the circuit.

From a distance without seeing the installation we would only be able to provide guesswork that may not be the most efficient and cheapest methods of providing a safe circuit.

Reply to running power to shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net