Saw Motor problem | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Saw Motor problem in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard

Hi,

I bought this Electric Log Cutting Saw 2200W - Machine Mart a week or so ago.

The problem is that every few times I start her up, it's tripping the fuse in the plug. Power law says it should pull about 9.5 amps, but obviously the start current is alot higher I would think.

E-mailed them and got the generic responce.. havn't had this problem before blah blah

My question is, in your opinions should this be supplied with a 13A plug? Personally, I think it should be on a 16A plug. Just checking your opinions before I write back to them!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a start current of 14-16Amps if it's DOL. Does the machine have a soft start? Did you try measuring the start current with an ammeter?

had same problem with a compressor. start current blowing fuse. also, with machine mart motors, i have seen problems when they are used with an extension lead. a small volt drop when the motor tries to start causes it to stall and if left powered up it will burn out. definitely think they should be run off a C type 16A .

yes

i know someone who bought a similar type machine 'prewired' with 13amp plug - fuse kept blowing at startup

i think he consulted supplier and we changed to c16mcb

Hi, thanks for all of your replys. I wrote to them, and they said that most of their customers had not experience such problems. To be 100% it isn't my installations problem, I'v even double checked the voltage at the plug 234V. I will try with an ammeter at the weekend.

As for machine mart, I find it quite irritating that they are selling something that isn't for purpose.

Good old machine fart :) ............... I would definately look at swapping to a 16A commando plug and running it from a C Type 16A MCB...

Just to put a different slant on it does the motor stop more or less straight away when the trigger is released. If so its probably a brake motor and with it being new the brake could be binding slightly thus increasing the starting current further. Give it a few weeks of intensive floor laminating or garden decking and you may find the nuisance tripping becomes less frequent.....just a thought!!!!!

Reply to Saw Motor problem in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net