Seemed like a good idea at the time. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Seemed like a good idea at the time. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Knobhead

The company I served my time with had a policy that all electricians and mates were trained in CPR. We went for refresher training every three years. On shifts there would be either be two electricians or one and a mate. As time went on shifts got cut down to one electrician on his own. It took a while for the penny to drop with me. I’m the only one on the shift that knows CPR, who’s the one that’s likely to be flat out on his back needing it?
It took a while but every tradesman followed by all the production workers were trained.

A bit of black humour, I was on a shift with the luxury of two first aiders. About midnight I got a shout on the radio to call for an ambulance as one of the first aiders had put his back out. So made the call and then got the other aider to come with me. Climbing the stairs he has an asthma attack. By the time the ambulance arrived the canteen looked like a casualty station with bodies laid out on tables.

When I was an Engineer in the automotive industry I worked at Land Rovers Solihul plant on the engineering team for Disco II. In around '96 I was walking through the plant when I saw a guy about 20m from me collapse (he was a lineside operative). In a flash, one of his colleagues had hit the 'red button' and the emergency sirens went off and the line stopped. he was immediately attended to by his stations first aider, who clealry knew his 'stuff'.
When the emergency sirens went off, the drill is that the line stops, everyone puts down their tools and parts and remains at their station. All fork trucks evacuate to their stations to clear the gangways. If you are 'passing through' (as I was) you are required to stay put in a safe place. So I had a granstand view of proceedings.
The site ambulance arrived on the scene in less than 2 minutes (there can't have been more than about a foot clearance down that isle!). In less than 5 mins the ambulance was on it's way to hospital. Within that time plant security had stopped all internal traffic, cleared the roads, opened the gates and even stopped traffic at the lights outside Lode Lane gates.

The man not only lived to tell his tale, but was back at work about 4 months later, fitter and leaner than ever.

The docs at hospital said he'd had a massive heart attack and that it was the prompt actions of the first aider and the company's ability to get him to hospital 'toute de suite' that saved him.

My point is really, never underestimate the value of first aid. It may seem a chore going on the courses, but it's value is immense.
Also, always ensure someone knows what you're doing and where you are if you're doing something risky (eg in a hot loft or up ladders) and you're on your own.

When I was an Engineer in the automotive industry I worked at Land Rovers Solihul plant on the engineering team for Disco II. In around '96 I was walking through the plant when I saw a guy about 20m from me collapse (he was a lineside operative). In a flash, one of his colleagues had hit the 'red button' and the emergency sirens went off and the line stopped. he was immediately attended to by his stations first aider, who clealry knew his 'stuff'.
When the emergency sirens went off, the drill is that the line stops, everyone puts down their tools and parts and remains at their station. All fork trucks evacuate to their stations to clear the gangways. If you are 'passing through' (as I was) you are required to stay put in a safe place. So I had a granstand view of proceedings.
The site ambulance arrived on the scene in less than 2 minutes (there can't have been more than about a foot clearance down that isle!). In less than 5 mins the ambulance was on it's way to hospital. Within that time plant security had stopped all internal traffic, cleared the roads, opened the gates and even stopped traffic at the lights outside Lode Lane gates.

The man not only lived to tell his tale, but was back at work about 4 months later, fitter and leaner than ever.

The docs at hospital said he'd had a massive heart attack and that it was the prompt actions of the first aider and the company's ability to get him to hospital 'toute de suite' that saved him.

My point is really, never underestimate the value of first aid. It may seem a chore going on the courses, but it's value is immense.
Also, always ensure someone knows what you're doing and where you are if you're doing something risky (eg in a hot loft or up ladders) and you're on your own.

Lineside op = track rat lol

Where u from mate? I live 5 mins away from the lode lane plant, my gf is a accountant for jag& landy

Hi HT,

I was with Rover group for 18 years man & boy. i transfered to Lode Lane to join the engineering team for NRR (38A) in '90 and moved onto Disco II in '94. I left LR in '98 to go to Lear Corp to engineer the upper environment for head impact for the X350 project.

Whilst at LR I lived in Cov, but moved to Lutterworth in '99 (thanks to the hike in salary). Still there.

Reply to Seemed like a good idea at the time. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net