Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc) | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

holmestm

DIY
Reaction score
I have an existing installation extended in 2015. The existing cable had 3 cores and used the armour as earth, with connections soldered onto the SWA gland where required (e.g. in external sockets).

At the point the extension was added the contractor took the armoured earth and connected it to the earth of an armoured twin and earth cable but did not add a banjo to also earth the armoured sheath of any of the cabling beyond this point. This newer cable runs to another outdoor double socket where there are also no banjos so the second armoured section is not earthed either. It then runs into an external consumer unit in a shed, from where lighting and an additional socket are connected.

I recently had an electrical inspection done and this failed as a C2.

I am considering adding the banjos and earth wires myself and asking for the inspection to be redone (I agreed for the external cable to be disconnected for the purposes of the inspection, which is required for insurance purposes). The original contractor refuses to come back and make good the work as he says it is not necessary.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc)

It does need earthing, yes. Although I'm not sure that justifies a C2 as it looks like a cpc has been maintained going on downstream.

C2 for lack of earth to the armour.

With cable damage, the armour could become live. C2.

Is there some damage to the left neutral core, copper showing?

Last edited:
With cable damage, the armour could become live. C2.

Is there some damage to the left neutral core, copper showing?
This is where I just get fecked off by the current testing regime. ‘Could do’ can be applied to anything. My chainsaw ‘could’ fall off its hanging peg in the garage and bash through the 6 way ABS board underneath it. The pipe under my floorboards ‘could’ burst and cause water to rain down through the downlights in the bathroom. A mouse ‘could’ chomp through a surface clipped 624x somewhere…. The list is endless. YES - I understand fully why we have a category of C2 but the measure of ‘possibility’ has to be measured against mature real world experience and not by some crack head watching YouTube videos.

This is where I just get fecked off by the current testing regime. ‘Could do’ can be applied to anything.
?
Seen a lot of evidence of burning without a life threatening house fire....that's not saying there haven't been any, though.

I DO understand where you're coming from, though

Last edited:
This is where I just get fecked off by the current testing regime. ‘Could do’ can be applied to anything. My chainsaw ‘could’ fall off its hanging peg in the garage and bash through the 6 way ABS board underneath it. The pipe under my floorboards ‘could’ burst and cause water to rain down through the downlights in the bathroom. A mouse ‘could’ chomp through a surface clipped 624x somewhere…. The list is endless. YES - I understand fully why we have a category of C2 but the measure of ‘possibility’ has to be measured against mature real world experience and not by some crack head watching YouTube videos.
Whether the armour is being used for ADS or CPC it needs earthing.

Chancers, you get them in all sorts of trades, like the electrician who took the chance of not bonding and a child died.

Am i being Dramatic :) :)

Last edited:
Original contractor on contact flat refuses to come back and make good. Argument being if a spade went through the armour and then live would probably also go through earth too. Good we have regs to make such viewpoints irrelevant, however not sure what good they do if contractors can just ignore them. I spent £1760 in 2015 for that job, Small Claims Court?

Incidentally I had the wiring inspected a few years later and made the mistake of allowing the same contractor to do the inspection - marking his own homework.

Original contractor has glowing reviews on Checkatrade - so clearly can't trust that either.

Incidentally, when I emailed after the work was done requesting certification I realise that he did not supply any. I've had electricians in the past who have done this and thought standard practice. Again my mistake for not chasing up.

Original contractor on contact flat refuses to come back and make good. Argument being if a spade went through the armour and then live would probably also go through earth too. Good we have regs to make such viewpoints irrelevant, however not sure what good they do if contractors can just ignore them. I spent £1760 in 2015 for that job, Small Claims Court?

Incidentally I had the wiring inspected a few years later and made the mistake of allowing the same contractor to do the inspection - marking his own homework.

Original contractor has glowing reviews on Checkatrade - so clearly can't trust that either.

Incidentally, when I emailed after the work was done requesting certification I realise that he did not supply any. I've had electricians in the past who have done this and thought standard practice. Again my mistake for not chasing up.
I assume said contractor is part of a Part P scheme (NICEIC, Napit, few others..) in which case complain to them. They'll investigate (in theory) and have the 'power' to insist the contractor makes good at their own cost. Nine years puts you out of scope for small claims (not that I'd bother with that anyway) but I think I'm right in saying (others will jump in here!) that the certsure guarantee is for ten so you're just in, if you're quick.

However.... if it's just a missing banjo, it's a ten minute job for an actual competent electrician so you might just want to get it done and not have the hassle and stress.

Reply to Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net