Should these be legal? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Should these be legal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Resu

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
What do you think?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Should these be legal?

Imitation Double Plug Socket Wall Safe Security Box | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why not? Do you think they encourage people to go around putting keys in sockets to see if any treasure falls out? Done right I reckon they'd be a good way to hide your valuables, but I can't help thinking homeowners would make it obvious what they were by putting them at a different height to the other sockets, having all one brand except for one which is the only socket with no plugs in it, etc.

Local authority I have worked for had these fitted in flats for drug addicts to keep there needles in after about 6 months of people calling us out to check the skt because it wasn,t (when the flat had been let to a normal person) working we took them all out another problem was that kids would see there parents putting the key in and imitate it very dangerous i agree with you don't allow them

All uk sockets are fully protected against bits being poke into sockets...I would suggest a read of the sticky on here "Fatally Flawed"

It was actually the fatally flawed campaign that got me thinking. If a kid managed to disable the shutters by ramming something, for example, key shaped into the earth terminal, they would obviously then have access to the live and neutral!

Not if your other sockets were all MK and needed all 3 pins to go in at the same time to open the shutter.

Maybe these things should be sold with fake 'safety covers'...

How many households across the UK have all MK sockets?

I dont won`t to sound rude, but I think your looking at a issue that does not exist, the chances of poking an item into a uk socket is very remote.

Okay maybe it's a bit OTT but I still think they are a bad idea. It's actually quite easy to poke an item into a UK socket, the Fatally Flawed campaign has some examples, ie. putting a plug in upside down leaves the shutters open...

I think sockets should be like these, where the switch can only be switched on when a plug has been inserted and automatically switches off when the plug is withdrawn. It's not going to stop kids trying to poke things in but at least the socket would definitely be off.

Last edited:
ie. putting a plug in upside down leaves the shutters open...
Not a plug, but a 'safety cover' can bend so you can put it in upside down.
I think sockets should be like these, where the switch can only be switched on when a plug has been inserted and automatically switches off when the plug is withdrawn. It's not going to stop kids trying to poke things in but at least the socket would definitely be off.
... Like an MK socket?

Not a plug, but a 'safety cover' can bend so you can put it in upside down.

... Like an MK socket?

There's a video on YouTube of a guy putting a normal plug (upside down) into the earth terminal enough to open the shutters.

Is that a feature they've recently added to their sockets? We don't use a lot of MK other than the Masterseal stuff.

Last edited:
There's a video on YouTube of a guy putting a normal plug (upside down) into the earth terminal enough to open the shutters.

Is that a feature they've recently added to their sockets? We don't use a lot of MK other than the Masterseal stuff.

MK have a different shutter than the usually sockets it needs both the earth, L & N pin to be inserted for the shutters to drop. Obviously earth first.

Reply to Should these be legal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net