Search the forum,

Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376595038.551301.jpg my finest job yet

You know the rule get there first , as a "plumber" I always want to get there before the sparks , had one cheeky bugger use all the holes we'd spent a day drilling for first fix .rang him said you've got a hour to get back or am cutting the lot out he just laughed.

We did put it all in one pile for him though

boffy whats up with all that dust/dirt on the pictues? flood? tornado?
big plus for a metal contactum unit, they do the job :)

The thing missing is the fire boarding underside of the stairs... electrical fires account for a high number of house fires and if it occurs under the stairs that buggers the escape route up!!!

As a sparkie you should be aware of building regs too and advising the customer i personally would have it fire boarded as part of the job its not a big task and really doesn't need plastering under their.

The thing missing is the fire boarding underside of the stairs... electrical fires account for a high number of house fires and if it occurs under the stairs that buggers the escape route up!!!

As a sparkie you should be aware of building regs too and advising the customer i personally would have it fire boarded as part of the job its not a big task and really doesn't need plastering under their.

As a "sparkie" I am aware, you condescending git. That's the problem with this forum, half the time know-it-alls assume that everyone else is beneath them and know far less than they do

It is in a chapel, the grey dust is in fact soot that was blanched by the camera flash.

For the prats out there that have the starting point of "everyone else is a cowboy", the client was advised but as there are two stairs to the gallery, the client decided not to add.

I don't think there is any call for that sort of attitude!!

No-ones saying that you're a cowboy or close to one either.

BTW, if that is soot, then it'll be carbon based, and there's a lot of it too, and as such a definite fire hazard!!

As a "sparkie" I am aware, you condescending git. That's the problem with this forum, half the time know-it-alls assume that everyone else is beneath them and know far less than they do

It is in a chapel, the grey dust is in fact soot that was blanched by the camera flash.

For the prats out there that have the starting point of "everyone else is a cowboy", the client was advised but as there are two stairs to the gallery, the client decided not to add.

A simple 'its not a house or a fire exit' would have sufficed, my comment was not condescending nor treating you as some form of underling - ive trained up many apprentices and all of them bar 1 have thank me for my patience and attitude to their skill level.. .the one who hasn't i sacked for 2 accounts of gross misconduct and numerous attitude warnings....

What im trying to express is that i have more time and patience than most on here and only comment on their competence if i believe its in they may be putting themselves or others at risk.

The above post was not an attack it was observation that had it been a house then it really isn't up to the customer to decide whether they want it but for yourself to say it has to be fire-rated as part of your upgrade.

Im glad your not in my team for that attitude problem you clearly have, their was no call for such a offensive response either - you seem very defensive if not overly and attitude to boot a simple- "yes you make a good point but all been addressed as its not a house and has alternative fire routes" would have seen an equally leisured approach with possible good advice but as you seem to have stamped your foot down and refuse it...

If it was a house you would only be in an advisory position as its a chapel/gallery which may be open to the public thus may be a whole different ball game but as you haven't supplied the info we can only assume ... so don't bite our heads off for second guessing the set-up instead correct us and if i was out of term then an apology would have been given.

I dont have nearly 500 Thanks and over 2000 likes for belittling and condescending people on here if you feel ive done that to your then i offer an apology it wasn't my intent

I don't think there is any call for that sort of attitude!!

No-ones saying that you're a cowboy or close to one either.

BTW, if that is soot, then it'll be carbon based, and there's a lot of it too, and as such a definite fire hazard!!

erm.... 2 things, I wrote without attitude....I am not the only one who has had enough of being talked at, rather than being talked to, I may be new to the forum but with 32 years experience I am not new to the game and I know a clique situation when I see one. Secondly, the soot was present before the clean up so how is it still a fire hazard?

A simple 'its not a house or a fire exit' would have sufficed, my comment was not condescending nor treating you as some form of underling

No, I totally disagree. You may not be a git, apologies for that, but your comments were certainly condescending. Your comment "as a sparkie you should know.." implies that I do not know. Your comment "I personally......" is just another way of saying "this is how it should have been done".

You do underline my criticism in your reply though. You agree with me...."but as you haven't supplied the info we can only assume"... this was my very point if not made too articulately. You appear to suggest that I am at fault for not providing information as opposed to your wrong assumptions.

If you wanted to be instructive whilst not being condescending then maybe your reply could have said that Approved Document B (Fire Safety), Schedule 1, specifies that escape routes should be sufficiently protected from the effects of fire where necessary, and follow that up with a question on the application in the photographs.

Would I ask permission to fit fire retardant material in a high risk area, no. In this case, with use of a few hours a week, with a duplicate escape route and knowing that they only used upstairs for large funerals and weddings, the risk was low, so I asked the client. Would I expect you to know any of that, no of course not, which is why you should have asked.

I am not commenting on what you have done, are doing or will do, so your attempts at defending your comments by all those things isn't really relevant. I am commenting on the reply you made to my post and that only.

I don't need an apology everyone has a view and even contradictory views are all valid, I just hope that anyone reading this exchange will think twice before offering "advice" without knowing the full facts and to think hard about the delivery of said "advice".

Boffy you pulled my on a good point re-reading my post i see it was easily taken as condescending although not the intent nor my nature and yes came across wrong so apologies for that im big enough to admit that ....

If your experience of others on this forum is so i cant comment but im usually not aiming to pull anyone just to belittle them normally only as genuine concerns and advice but the difficulty is without knowing the OP any poster giving advice has to make assumptions and a judgment call to there competence, experience and personality and sometimes we get it wrong but a lot of times we can hit the nail on the head and a harsh approach can be justified when its clear the OP is a danger to themselves or others (im not referring to this thread and yourself im clear on your experience now).... i got it when i joined like everyone its just like the new kid in the school- theirs going to be a little prodding and poking to establish who they are and there level ...

I agree with boffy35, most people on this forum dont offer real help or advice they just want to take the mick and slate others to make themselves feel competent.

I agree with boffy35, most people on this forum dont offer real help or advice they just want to take the mick and slate others to make themselves feel competent.
Some are like that but tends to be those who have to hide their own incompetence a lot of us do give regular good advice feel free to check my post history we don't have to do this this we do it to help those who are learning .... but sometimes the level of questioning is far below the competence that the OP should have so occasionally we will express this if not just for the OP safety ..... i don't expect to see a question from a fully qualified electrician asking how to do a basic insulation test ....believe me we get that level of questioning so yes sometimes talking down is justified... ive had enough apprentices to know what level and type of question to expect from each level of apprentice experience so when the questions get stupid then we will treat as stupid.

I would of liked to but that's all we had pal thanks for your reply

Nothing wrong with the layout i slightly disagree with the separate earth bar comment as this would hinder testing by giving parallel paths on earth as you seem to be extending circuits and would have to disconnect each earth if commoned up here.

My only critique is your core markings as has already been noted you can't have L marker on Neutral and earths as the L identifies them as Live... check table 51

Nothing wrong with the layout i slightly disagree with the separate earth bar comment as this would hinder testing by giving parallel paths on earth as you seem to be extending circuits and would have to disconnect each earth if commoned up here.

My only critique is your core markings as has already been noted you can't have L marker on Neutral and earths as the L identifies them as Live... check table 51

Hi mate thanks for your reply I see what you meen now pal it would look so much better but my gaffa is a mingebag lol cheers for your reply

Apart from the comments on cable marking, that's a neat and well executed installation for an apprentice. It makes a pleasant change to see a bit of care and attention put into a job!! Well Done!!

Only thing i don't like but it is a personal dislike is yellow number kits... the minute the number is accidentally rubbed off or time faded it becomes a pain to identify them, i use the recognised colour and number coded sleeves and regardless if the number wears away the colour still identifies the cable.

Scatts, Farnell, RS Components .... never had any trouble getting the correct gear, i wouldn't even entertain using general electrical wholesalers to source my gear for panel building.

Scatts, Farnell, RS Components .... never had any trouble getting the correct gear, i wouldn't even entertain using general electrical wholesalers to source my gear for panel building.

All good advice Darkwood, but at the end of the day, he's an apprentice and wouldn't know too much about the sort of panelwork you're involved in. He get's given the materials and instructions on how to markup/identify the cables. What you can see, as soon as the cover of this JB arrangement is removed, is that a bit of care and thought has gone into it's installation...

Personally i don't like to see cable ties to dress cables, certainly not in a consumer unit or distribution board setting, but in a JB as we have here, i don't see much of a muchness of them being used or not.

All good advice Darkwood, but at the end of the day, he's an apprentice and wouldn't know too much about the sort of panelwork you're involved in. He get's given the materials and instructions on how to markup/identify the cables. What you can see, as soon as the cover of this JB arrangement is removed, is that a bit of care and thought has gone into it's installation...

Personally i don't like to see cable ties to dress cables, certainly not in a consumer unit or distribution board setting, but in a JB as we have here, i don't see much of a muchness of them being used or not.

Better to not cable tie them and if there is enough cables put in some panel trunking (the one with the fins that snap off on both sides

Something gone wrong here these posts were part of another conversation hence i said yellow markers i had a conversation going hence i popped up with scatts etc .... not a clue whats happened as the other poster was replying so he's either been banned with all his posts to boot or a forum mishap has occurred?

Last edited:
Found him '5c077' has been banned and all his posts to suit have gone from his profile history hence my comments mights of sounded a bit left of field.... thanks admin for making it look as though im talking to myself :goofy:

This be my little project this week .. a 2motor dust extract control with sequencing control for 2 remote pneumatic filter cleaning system.

Designed, built and programmed by myself.

Extract controls.png Unfortunately it was fitted to existing system and i ended up having to earth S/Y sheath on 2no' 230v aux supplies to the filter monitor kits... to say its only 2 yrs old and was installed by professional team i resolved several running issues, rectified 3 non compliant issues and customer very happy ;)

I haven't come accross any installs anywhere near as neat as any of these! (Posted in a different thread a few minutes ago) But worked for a PV company, did some jobs in commercial premises and all their DBs were shambolic and a nightmare to work with, can't wait for they day to either do an install like that or work with one!

I take it you fitted this after lunch when you had emptied it ;)

It was fitted to a mobile catering lorry so can imagine why a Tupperware was used!

On another job, this was a chef's attempt at running an extension lead to a fridge before I could get there to sort out the RCD which was tripping and they didn't want to lose the food in the freezer:

IMG-20120914-00332.jpg

One of my projects from earlier this year:

A hallway in a barn conversion had 4 x halogen downlights, cable had burnt through and was damaged beyond repair. No access from above so had to drill on each joist to run a new cable in from light to light.

IMG-20120328-00063.jpg

After patching and fitted new LED units:

IMG-20120329-00070.jpg

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net