show us your library | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss show us your library in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
what books would you say is your most often refered to reference and why?

i think this would be quite useful to help expand our knowledge.

[ElectriciansForums.net] show us your library

Last edited:
What you see in the pics is about 1/4 of what I keep on hand in the study. It spans from about 1890 to the present day - 75% is electrical / electronic but there is also material on engines, steam, general plant, building services etc. This is the older stuff; lots of brochures, manuals and data sheets as well as books. I could spec you a boiler house from manufacturers' data for any decade of the 20th century.

My favourites are the ones with exciting coloured pictures. My original copy of 'The Boy Electrician' is in there somewhere too.

[ElectriciansForums.net] show us your library[ElectriciansForums.net] show us your library[ElectriciansForums.net] show us your library

What you see in the pics is about 1/4 of what I keep on hand in the study. It spans from about 1890 to the present day - 75% is electrical / electronic but there is also material on engines, steam, general plant, building services etc. This is the older stuff; lots of brochures, manuals and data sheets as well as books. I could spec you a boiler house from manufacturers' data for any decade of the 20th century.

My favourites are the ones with exciting coloured pictures. My original copy of 'The Boy Electrician' is in there somewhere too.

View attachment 28897View attachment 28898View attachment 28899

Gosh that is some Library.

Not shown are the bookcases of electrical / electronic magazines, the small shelves full of handbooks etc (where the Electrician's Mate - B.I's 1960's OSG to pyro - sits next to the pocket book of resistance wire alloys), the newer material e.g. textbooks from uni, current regs & catalogues and the unsorted pile which seems to be growing without any help from me.

Here's one of my favourites: Nevelin's pictorial guide to making a mercury arc rectifier, page 22...

I wish I knew where half my stuff is, its 2½ years since I moved in to this place and there’s still things in boxes.

One book I’m grateful to Glennsparks for finding for me is “Power Rectifiers, J Rosslyn 1941”. The stuff I was working on in the 70’s and early 80’s I now know how it worked.
It’s a bit bloody late but what the hell, I enjoy reading about things I can relate to.

If I have had my head stick in BS7671 for an hour or so going back and forth between one reg cross-referenced to another reg sometimes I need to lighten the mood with something humorous:

If I have had my head stick in BS7671 for an hour or so going back and forth between one reg cross-referenced to another reg sometimes I need to lighten the mood with something humorous:

It should show a piccy of Cockburn's book...... Luddite I am.

Last edited:

Reply to show us your library in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net