SIngle phase forklift charger. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss SIngle phase forklift charger. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Will be adding a new circuit for a charger, running current is 53.5 amps and requires an 80 amp D type breaker.

Which manufacturers tend to do a suitable enclosure for something like this?

Just looking through the MEM booklet at the minute, but as of yet aint found anything.

Think i've sorted it now. After speaking with Scheider Electrics tech dept they suggested using a single pole 100a teminal block feeding straight into an encloser, with either a fuse or one of there C120 breakers.

Best get the brain in gear now and work out the size of cable to get the Zs low enough Argh

Think i've sorted it now. After speaking with Scheider Electrics tech dept they suggested using a single pole 100a teminal block feeding straight into an encloser, with either a fuse or one of there C120 breakers.

Best get the brain in gear now and work out the size of cable to get the Zs low enough Argh

0.15 Ohms is the 80% value for that MCB.

On those sort of MCB sizes, we often use the manufacturers rated maximum Zs value, it's specific to the device and is far more generous!
Just make a note on your EIC.

0.15 might be for a 63amp I think.

I thought 0.14 was maximum to table 41.3 but I don't have the book with me at the moment, so maybe be wrong on both accounts

Sorry IQ never saw until you posted that you were quoting a specific manufacter, 100 lines must read post carefully.........................

Last edited:
Ah, it makes sense now, I looked at post 3 and saw 'C120' lol

Yes, the Schneider value is much nicer to work with! ;)

Just worked out volt drop on a 20m run of 10mm 3 core SWA for single phase with design current of 80 amps.

I ended up with a VD of 7.52 volts. Can you confirm this is correct please?

For the VD value I was using the AEI data sheet at 4.7mV/A/m

Last edited:
The maths is correct, I can't verify the AEI value as I'm out and about.

Some of the math and assumptions on this thread are confusing me.

You say the running current is 53.5Amps, from a 24v 110amp charger. So I would assume that the 53.5 amps quoted is on the DC side of the charger connecting to the fork lift. (110 amps / 24 volt = 11 amps 240 volt in a lossless system)

If this is the case my guestimates would be current drawn single phase to be ~13 amp @ 230 volts. Current on the secondary side to be 110 amp max, which is the maximum current the charger can put out to the fork lift. So you would need something on the 24 volt side capable of breaking that current. Also you want cable on the 24volt side that is capable of carrying the currents quoted without too much of a volts drop. The volts drop of 7.82 volts may be acceptable on a 230 volt circuit, but certainly not on a 24 volt DC run.

Minimum cable size I would put from charger to fork lift would be 35mm to prevent overheating and volts drop.

Short story short - 20 amp feeding breaker on the 230 volt side. Type B,C or D depending on what the inrush is of the charger. From the charger to the fork truck 35mm welding type cables via either a 2 pole 125 amp MCB or HRC fuse fitted in an enclosure. Also a 16mm earth wire also to attach to the body of the truck.

To charge this truck from flat I would not be surprised to see 1 hour plus of maximum charging current (110 amps in this case), so anything you install must be capable of handling this on the DC side.

Last edited:
I assumed that Ampdavid used the manufacturers data to establish the value for running current and I'd be surprised if that figure was for the DC side.

All the figure I've stated are from the manufacturer.
I spoke to them direct and the tech help guy was very helpfull. When i explained that for the last year or so it had be on a 40amp MCB and the customer had issues with it tripping during charging, this is when he informed me the normal running current was 53.5 amps.

The breaker in the charger, is a 70 amp and they advise on 10% more or the next size up for the CPD in the board.

The DC side has sod all to do with me. Its on a hire contract so the DC/FLT side is there problem.

Last edited:

Reply to SIngle phase forklift charger. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net