Single phase motors. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Single phase motors. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I've got in a single phase motor from a machine. The machines been fixed with a new one now. Having more experience on 3 ph motors I've never really come into contact with 1ph motors.
My knowledge was the single phase has two windings. One start one run, set 90' apart from eachother. The start has a cap on it which starts and cuts out via a c/s after 75% . Now this motors in bits and i cant for the life of me find the switch!:confused:. The starter winding on this motor has over heated the capacitor has blown and when seperated from links both windings buzz through on own and together. The starter windings not so burnt the laquer has failed tho. My thinking is the c/s has jammed as signs of rust. I just cant find it. Do single phase motors work like this now? please help I cant put the thing down!!;)

Hi you can also get start run capacitors where the cap is always in circuit.
will look some more info up latter if you need it.

Cheers for the response guys

Thats the thing having no experience on single phase motors I dont know how they really work.
Its totally in bits with the windings still in housing. knowing 3ph motor housing theres no room for anything but the windings.
My guess then its the start run cap like you say.The caps too dirty to read tho. So how do these types work ?
The two windings on this one are not the same size thats why im thinking the smaller (overheated one) is the start and the larger the run. reading diagrams the c/s links the two explaining why they are link out still when seperated.
I've never seen what C/S looks like out of a motor. Like I said before I dont think the laquer has melted so much they have shorted together.Cant understand how/why they would be linked out within motor.
Cheers for any responses its just for furture ref's

Reply to Single phase motors. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net