Sky high quote and false claims?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Sky high quote and false claims?? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

deeyup

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Not been on here for a long while after having my solar pv system fitted in November 2011, but looks like things have massively changed.
A friend of mine just called me to say their 78 year old parents have just signed today for a pv system.

From what I've roughly worked out, it looks like they are really being taken for a ride. I would like if anyone can help confirmation of what I think.
I've just run a calculation on the energy savings trust web site. It says on there 15.44p per kW/h as long as you've got band d or higher.
Also it's now 20 years not 25.

This is their quote.
8x 235w panels (unknown make) so 1.88 kw install.
£8000

So after putting that info into the energy savings trust calc it came back with £8000 outlay, £7000 return after 20 years of fits and 25 years of electric savings.

The salesman said payback from investment was 4 years and they would get 40p per kW/h

Am I correct? Or is there an ounce of truth in what he said.

Thanks for your time,

Yes the (FIT) is correct @ 15.44p not 40 pence £8k is a rip off though (unless there house is amazingly difficult) we would charge around £4-£5k for that job (top wack) so they are basically paying double in my oponion

just to add even Sanyo (Panasonic) panels would be much cheaper and even if you used gold cable rather than copper (gold is a better conductor) if they haven't paid anything yet please advice them against it

Yes that's true, although I thought it was 7 days to cancel ? although I have never ripped off a customer so never had to go though that, where are all these people that pay double when I go to meet people ? of course I am joking but do these people not have access to the internet, I would never spend £8k without doing my homework, I know they are "older" which is even more shameful for the installation company.

Tell them cancel it straight away including any cheque they may have written, hopefully if they have paid a deposit they paid on a credit card.

i hate it seeing elderly people getting ripped off. 1st it was double glazing, now it's solar. these high pressure salesmen should be hanged from lamp posts.

please don't just tell them to cancel, please, please persuade them to make a formal complaint to trading standards about the company, as well as REAL and MCS, though the chances are that the company themselves won't be MCS / REAL registered.

these sorts of companies need to be shut down asap as they'll continue to target vulnerable people like this until they do get shut down.

This is outright con merchant stuff.

Regardless of the legal cooling off period, if they have been given false information (such as the 40p kw/H) then the contract is null and void anyway.

pj

I agree 100% with Gavin. If they don't do it themselves then make sure you do it for them. It is vitally important.

The chances are that the system will have been badly designed too. These kind of firms rarely get anything right.

As above - I'll summarise:

1. The price is almost twice what it should be, unless it's a very complex job.

2. At the price quoted, it may well be a loss-maker, and the money might have been better left in the bank.

3. The 40-odd-pence Feed-in-Tariff expired for new installations several months ago. It is now in the mid-teens pence per unit for new installations.

There should be a "cooling off" period, which you should immediately take advantage of by cancelling the order.

Do not get into price haggling with the existing compacny; get a different company to do the work because the current company are a disgrace.

Thanks all round for your responses. They have given a £1250 deposit so that'll be stopped.
I would like to name them, but without having the fit and payback claims in writing I think
I'd do better to keep my mouth shut.

Thanks again,

Deeyup

Thanks all round for your responses. They have given a £1250 deposit so that'll be stopped.
I would like to name them, but without having the fit and payback claims in writing I think
I'd do better to keep my mouth shut.

Thanks again,

Deeyup

Why? They are con artists who could have done exactly what they did to an elderly lady who contacted us. Charging £9,000 for a 1.5 kWp PV system with shading issues on a west south west facing roof with an undersized inverter.

So let me get this right they have paid of £1250 deposit without a proper quote, design and 20 year payback?

Please report them

Deeyup. You are right to bring it up.

Get them to notify REA now they they have been missold and they are cancelling. REA may not do nothing at this stage but they wanted it noted to protect future customers. Definately overpriced at this stage. 4KW are going for less.

Sean

There is a company out there called U**** En****. It rose from the ashes of the infamous Solar Energy Savings.

The sales pitch is that "Yes the FIT is 15.44p....but we guarantee you 40p a kw. Because once a year we will pay you the difference"

So once a year on the anniversary of the instal they are claiming they will pay you 34.56p a kilowatt by cheque.

Whats the chances of that happening.....

"Yes the FIT is 15.44p....but we guarantee you 40p a kw. Because once a year we will pay you the difference"

If the upfront cost is high enough, they can afford to earn interest/investment profits off the excess and gradually pay it back over the subsequent years.

But it would rely on the company remaining in business for a long time and not later being "wound up" (not necessarily bankrupt).

To update on this, the salesman called back the following day and returned the deposit cheque. The couple said they needed more time to think, and the salesman said "No probs give us a ring in January".
He did take all paperwork away with him though as "his boss needed it" so nothing left to show anyone. I'm unsure if they are going
to take it any further, but they have read this thread so do know everyones feelings on this.

The company was not the one named above. This is them http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...y-forum/67441-anyone-come-across-company.html
Thanks again for your help in this.

Glad they got the cheque back cos that was a rip off hope they get a accurate quote from a reputable company any help or advice feel free to inbox me

Just visited a retired couple for a site survey. Last company that went round yesterday were Ultra Energy....I put my head in my hands as soon as I heard that. Thankfully thye did research on them before comitting to them.

£10,500 for a 2.5 kWp PV system, income estimated to be £1,200 which I have no idea how they would do that. Free optimser and energy savings bulbs thrown in

Thing is the roof could take 7 kWp is it is 13 x 5 metres.

Please Please anyone that hears of Ultra Energy misselling and overcharging please report them to trading standards as they are the marketing company with the same employees from Solar Energy savings ltd that went into liquidation (forced) in August.

Companies like Ultra Energy are the scum of this industry and they need closing down!

Reply to Sky high quote and false claims?? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net