Smoke/fire alarm system large dwelling..... advice please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Smoke/fire alarm system large dwelling..... advice please in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all...

I'm in the process of pricing up a new build (domestic house), quantifying off some basic floor plans.

No detailed electrical spec as such, just what the client has marked (just love these ones!)

Sorted electrical spec fine.

But just trying to figure out the best way to proceed/ advise with smokes/ fire alarm.

It's not your 'standard' size property - 3 floors (no basement), ground floor is almost 170m2 approx (I'm sure if it's around 200m2 then a full system would be required?)

I'm not happy to spec it myself, so who would be the one that decides what level of protection is required : Building control, local fire officer, architect ?

Thanks for your help & hope your all having a good weekend

Sy

Thats correct if a dwelling has a single story thats over 200m2 it has to have full fire alarm system as stated in the building regs document B. What you describe a dwelling over three floors a mains powered detector in each floor that is interlinked would suffice, although most fire authorities would now recommend a additional heat sensor in the kitchen area.

If not sure ring local fire authority who sometimes will come and do a survey free of charge. Hope this helps

Once over 3 levels, the system becomes Garde A under BS5839 part 6, so therefore requires a full alarm systems control panel etc. Now if this is a rebuild project, building control will state a Grade A system. If this is just a rewire for a private customer with no building alterations, then its the customers choice as its a private dwelling.

Sorry stand corrected, a large dwelling of 3 or more storeys should be fitted with a grade A category LD2 system as described BS5839 part 6 as TAZZ says with detectors sited in accordance with BS5839 part 1 as would be a category 2 system.

Over looked how many stories and went with floor area.

Sorry stand corrected, a large dwelling of 3 or more storeys should be fitted with a grade A category LD2 system as described BS5839 part 6 as TAZZ says with detectors sited in accordance with BS5839 part 1 as would be a category 2 system.

Over looked how many stories and went with floor area.

Wouldnt a LD2 system be overkill?

LD2 is all escape routes and every room off of an escape route! In this situation being a residential dwelling that would really make it a LD1. Every room.

IMO a LD4 would be sufficient.. Escape routes only. This is of course all dependent on what is in the risk assessment.

Have had dealing with fire brigades over the years, they seem to be opting for no linked detection in the flats to the landlords fire alarm, this way the occupants are in their flats behind a fire door (safe).

I would personally contact building control and fire officer for advice.

Now if this is a rebuild project, building control will state a Grade A system

Brand new out the ground, new build..... so looking like a grade A then, great :sad: (nop shouldn't moan really, more work, more $$)

Think I'll give building control a phone Monday to see what they have to say.

Cheers

Sy

LD2 is all escape routes and every room off of an escape route! In this situation being a residential dwelling that would really make it a LD1. Every room.

IMO a LD4 would be sufficient.. Escape routes only. This is of course all dependent on what is in the risk assessment.

Have had dealing with fire brigades over the years, they seem to be opting for no linked detection in the flats to the landlords fire alarm, this way the occupants are in their flats behind a fire door (safe).

I think you are confusing the system category definitions between a dwelling and non dwelling type building. Dwellings are defined as LD1, LD2, LD3.
Non dwellings range from L1-L5
There isn't a definition for a LD4 category system
Escape routes only is defined as an LD3 system.

Your mixing part 6 up with part one her, LD4 is not L4.....LD3 is escape routes only (part6) L4 is escape routes only (part 1)

As you have stated this is a new build from the ground up, the architec will now be forwarding the design for the system, along with building controls input. So they will be issuing a stratorgy plan and design.
Once you have these docs you can then start works....remember only sign the install and commissioning docs, the building contractor has designed the system.

Reply to Smoke/fire alarm system large dwelling..... advice please in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net