Snagging on a new build | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Snagging on a new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adam_92

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Just brought a new build and Snaggers have picked a few things

1.no insect mesh in extractor fans which I can’t find in building regs?

2.utility room extractor fan isn’t a humidistat (it’s got an opening window) does it need to be a humidistat or standard is fine?

3. Fuse board (picture attached)
[ElectriciansForums.net] Snagging on a new build

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Possibly not part of building regs, but it’s a good idea to have them.

2. Standard should be fine, but utility rooms are usually bigger diameter than, say a bathroom. 150mm instead of 100. (Again, not sure if it’s a reg… but every one I’ve come across is on the bigger side)

3. That needs sorted.

Are these you have picked up on, or that the builders snagging team have highlighted?
If a snagging team have brought them up, then that suggests they should be in place by design.

Let them change anything they like, if you get an improvement for free.

New builds are notorious for trades to cut corners. Do some snagging yourself… such as checking the tightness of everything you can find… safely of course!

Power off, switch off the wall… check terminals are tight….Same with a couple of random sockets. I had cables fall out a switch 2 years after buying a new build. (You are badged as trainee, so should be within your skill set… but obviously don’t try anything you’re not confident with!)

Wiggle the taps… check they are tight onto the sink or basin….

Photograph anything you can find that’s not right with time stamp.

If the hole in the consumer unit is anything to go by… it looks like In and out, quick as you can type job.

1 is not in building regs but will probably be in manufacturers instructions and is of course common sense.

2 a humidistat fan in a utility room does not make sense to me, it is not just there to clear water vapour but also smells from cleaning products etc.

3 that should not have had passed inspection and testing with that hole in it!

Thanks for the replies,

They come yesterday to fix these issues was told the following

1. Insect mesh isn’t in the home builders spec

2. Not in builders spec

3. Looks like he has cut down a board blank :/ im pretty sure its regs you need to use fire rated grommets? Just can’t find the reg

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Snagging on a new build
    IMG_7781.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 53
    IMG_7783.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 55
3. Looks like he has cut down a board blank :/ im pretty sure its regs you need to use fire rated grommets? Just can’t find the reg
Plastic is fine by regs. Hager do a blanking plate that fits the KO's for meter tails, might fit this one. It could be cut down to fill the gap nicely. Check the dimensions against the knockout though

Thanks

The garage is built into the house and C/U is in garage exactly or fit bigger trunking? Plastic blank moves isn’t stuck in place.

Thanks I will make sure they sort it

Also looking at test results something doesn’t look right with sockets

0.29x1.67=0.48

0.29+0.55= 0.84

0.84/4= 0.21 they have got 0.12 looks like it’s not tested properly to me?

What you guys think

Bs 61009 are RCBO’s…. I doubt the trip time for each individual RCBO was exactly 33ms for each one.

Can we get a photo of the CU with the lid open showing the breakers?
We might find they’ve taken a blank out to fill in the hole in the top

I’m sure it should be within 0.05 ohms?
You are right that the little r1 and little rn are expected to be within 0.05 ohms of each other as they are exactly the same wire, and go to exactly the same places. The little r2 would be larger as it's thinner wire, theoretically a factor of 1.66 higher ( 2.5 sq mm / 1.5 sq mm = 1.66 )

The 1st R1+R2 is lower than expected. [ (r1 + r2 ) / 4 ]
The 2nd R1+R2 value has possibly been typed backwards, I'd expect 0.21 and they have 0.12

In fact, on a new build, I would expect no surface wiring at all

Looks to be in a garage judging by the unfinished block wall. Most of the new builds I've recently wired (one off homes) have had a small area for plant and surface trunking is by far the best option when out of general view. Much better to have a suitable surface trunking than 20+ circuits plastered into a wall.

Bs 61009 are RCBO’s…. I doubt the trip time for each individual RCBO was exactly 33ms for each one.

Can we get a photo of the CU with the lid open showing the breakers?
We might find they’ve taken a blank out to fill in the hole in the top

got home and had a look they’re mcbs 60898

Turned off (kitchen sockets) whole of downstairs went off 🥴
Ill have to get my tester out on the weekend and test everything

makes me worry haven’t even scratched the surface

Attachments

IMG_7790.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 46
    IMG_7786.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 45
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 43
It's been years since I've fitted a dual RCD board, RCBOs all the way now. I also went to a new build recently and the certificate for the property didn't match the installation at all. Though that was the least of the problems with the wiring.

It's been years since I've fitted a dual RCD board, RCBOs all the way now. I also went to a new build recently and the certificate for the property didn't match the installation at all. Though that was the least of the problems with the wiring.
I’m going to get the builders to arrange another company to do an EICR

I Dont fit Hager boards but is that SPD even wired up? Usually when the SPD sits to the right of the main switch its fed from an MCB, how does the bus bar get from the main switch to the SPD past the neutral terminal on the switch if its fed direct.

Edit: I've just found this picture which explains it,

dont really like that, how thick is the fly-lead and what happens if the SPD shorts live to neutral, that cable will fry before the main fuse goes but I suppose the neutral lead would do the same on other SPD's fed direct from the bus bar. Wouldn't surprise me if SPD's end up causing a whole load more problems than they solve in the coming years.

I Dont fit Hager boards but is that SPD even wired up? Usually when the SPD sits to the right of the main switch its fed from an MCB, how does the bus bar get from the main switch to the SPD past the neutral terminal on the switch if its fed direct.

Edit: I've just found this picture which explains it,

dont really like that, how thick is the fly-lead and what happens if the SPD shorts live to neutral, that cable will fry before the main fuse goes but I suppose the neutral lead would do the same on other SPD's fed direct from the bus bar. Wouldn't surprise me if SPD's end up causing a whole load more problems than they solve in the coming years.
I’ve not even had the time to remove the board cover at the moment still busy trying to sort out everything else wrong with the build! Will post a picture tonight when I’m home 😂

Reply to Snagging on a new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net