soft ding with no dong - needs replacing! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss soft ding with no dong - needs replacing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys,
Weve just added a porch to the house, and the front doorbell is now connected by a cable that is about 5 or 6 meters further... and the ding dong is very limp, sometimes a faint ding, sometimes the odd dong... lousy!
I tried buying 4 C-sized batteries but the unit vibrates continuously when I do that.
First off, I have no idea if there is some hidden transformer in my house. I "THINK" the wires shown in this photo are NOT 220v, but there must be a transformer if they are not... methinks.
So to make the ringer loud, I assume I should buy a new one, but dont know how/if I can use these wires to power the new buzzer and if that will help...
As you can tell, I don't know much about it, but would love some advice (not the "call an electrician" type of advice please ;)
Thanks,
Mark.
[ElectriciansForums.net] soft ding with no dong - needs replacing!

When you push the button the light should go out,

Sounds like a volt drop problem as when you push the button you energise's a coil in the bell to make the ding sound when the button is released a spring will return the plunger to make the dong sound

yeah, it does seem that way to me,
so I wonder if there is anything that can be done to fix it? I suppose if I found the transformer I could see if there is a way to output a higher voltage from it?

tx
Mark.

if you want to keep the illuminated bell push, you must use a tranny, not batteries. the light in the bell push will flatten the batteries overnight.

yeah, it does seem that way to me,
so I wonder if there is anything that can be done to fix it? I suppose if I found the transformer I could see if there is a way to output a higher voltage from it?

tx
Mark.

How the Hell can you "lose" a doorbell transformer??

I'm mystified.

There are some bell transformers that can be mounted on the DIN rail inside the consumer unit. Maybe that's the case here?

i would think it would be one of those old bakelite trannys, close to the DB. judging by the age of the chime unit itself. if OP posted a photo of the DB and surround, we might have an idea. still think it's less trouble to fit a wireless bell than type a post.

i would think it would be one of those old bakelite trannys, close to the DB. judging by the age of the chime unit itself. if OP posted a photo of the DB and surround, we might have an idea. still think it's less trouble to fit a wireless bell than type a post.

Yes, I thought so too and the CU is probably one of those old Wylex jobs with rewire able fuses - you know, the sort that sometimes needs the main switch replacing after the Scouse sparky has poked about with it ;) - but as the OP doesn't seem able to find it, I thought maybe it had been upgraded with new CU and transformer on the DIN rail

Yes, I thought so too and the CU is probably one of those old Wylex jobs with rewire able fuses - you know, the sort that sometimes needs the main switch replacing after the Scouse sparky has poked about with it ;) - but as the OP doesn't seem able to find it, I thought maybe it had been upgraded with new CU and transformer on the DIN rail
and whilst your there....you might just find an ancient cutout with fused neutral.....like i did the other day over Bradford....

hi guys
thanks for the responses, the door bell is on a new wall, which is why it is 5m or so further from the old front door.
there is a photo of the only other thing I know is related to the door bell in my first post... could the transformer be UNDER this unit?

I do not want a wireless system because I would lose having an illuminated doorbell. We have face brick and I am not going to start drilling holes, chasing new wires etc... just want the doorbell to work properly. I dont mind buying another one, but want to keep the existing illuminated bell.

thanks again for your support, perhaps I should get an electrician to come in :((

tx
Mark.

Check all your connections especially where the builder has extended the wiring, as they do have an uncanny knack of doing a crap job where electrics are concerned, coz anyone can do it.
post a pic of your fuse board up, and we may be able to shed some light on your illuminated bell push

Check all your connections especially where the builder has extended the wiring, as they do have an uncanny knack of doing a crap job where electrics are concerned, coz anyone can do it.
post a pic of your fuse board up, and we may be able to shed some light on your illuminated bell push

hi there
all the connections the builder made are now either under concrete or inside a brick wall.
the fuse board is relatively new and definitely has no doorbell specific trip switches... I think its a transformer i need to find?

tx
Mark

hi there
all the connections the builder made are now either under concrete or inside a brick wall.
the fuse board is relatively new and definitely has no doorbell specific trip switches... I think its a transformer i need to find?

tx
Mark

Good lad!!!

It's always a pleasure to meet a quick learner. ;)

(Dear God .. those two bottles of red wine went down a treat!!)

Reply to soft ding with no dong - needs replacing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back