Spur with two sfcu on it | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Spur with two sfcu on it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all is this ok to run two sfcu like this ?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Spur with two sfcu on it
Or should i run it like this
[ElectriciansForums.net] Spur with two sfcu on it

Maybe taffy was thinking that way too which would explain why he said 26a could be drawn, however just going by the ops drawing there is nothing to suggest it would be looped through so in my opinion it was worth 5 pages just to clarify the point that,
yes his circuit is correct providing he wires from the load side of the fcu and not looping from the feed.

Everybody happy with the clarification now?

It clearly says 3amp to light, 3 amp to boiler so obviously FCU 2 is not fed from the fused side of FCU1. Dont want to go on and on about it but pic 1 IS wrong, Pic 2 is OK. According to both the regs i have listed and your picture of App 15 which clearly shows that Pic 1 is wrong.

Spurring 1 Double socket can draw up to 26 Amps, what is wrong with 2 FCU's drawing a max of 3 amps each?

Or has the ability to use some common sense been lost? 50+ posts on this now, its making a big deal out of something that isn't.

Just what the DIY'er does to alter things at a later date isn't really anything to do with this, they can and do bodge up anything, nothing to stop them spurring of a perfectly good ring final circuit and running several points of that either.

First drawing isn't wrong though as its designed on 6amp max load, the OP should label up max fuse size that should be replaced if it blows in future. But on saying that i do see where Taffy is coming from now and i do agree that if the fuses were replaced with 13a ones then this would show an overload of the cable.
Interesting........

First drawing isn't wrong though as its designed on 6amp max load, the OP should label up max fuse size that should be replaced if it blows in future. But on saying that i do see where Taffy is coming from now and i do agree that if the fuses were replaced with 13a ones then this would show an overload of the cable.
Interesting........

Why would it be any different at all to a double socket being added?

So the question remains would you if looped from feed in side feed two 3a fcu for a max draw of 6a? Providing circuit was clearly identified and certified then although maybe not a standard circuit arrangement still suitable for purpose

D80 the OP was asking which one. Pic 2 is clearly best practice as it complies entirely with Regs. Pic 1 doesn`t. the rights and wrongs of it, whether its safe or not ,which Pic 1 will be on current load, wasn`t the point. He asked which way to do it, I suggested the way that complies with App 15, others disagree and thats fine.

Given that it was later added that it was a ring circuit not a radial and looped from feed in side not load then yes pic two would be the obvious choice, but we are not talking about that we are talking of the suitability of non standard circuit arrangements - or trying too

Just out of interest, what exactly is the the danger in adding 2 3A FCU to the ring? If situation ever arose that I needed to do it I'd be more than fine with it. I'm sure the OP is lost now as to what to do after 66+ posts, but either option initially posted seems fine to me, the 2nd is a little overkill.

If we are all worried about what the incompetent person may do after us then 32Amp ring are out, may as well do 10Amp radial to cover for them. Don't want to have them adding a shower to the ring after all! I don't care much what someone adds after me, that's their problem. Common sense seems to have long gone here.

Just out of interest, what exactly is the the danger in adding 2 3A FCU to the ring? If situation ever arose that I needed to do it I'd be more than fine with it. I'm sure the OP is lost now as to what to do after 66+ posts, but either option initially posted seems fine to me, the 2nd is a little overkill.

If we are all worried about what the incompetent person may do after us then 32Amp ring are out, may as well do 10Amp radial to cover for them. Don't want to have them adding a shower to the ring after all! I don't care much what someone adds after me, that's their problem. Common sense seems to have long gone here.

At no point have I said Pic 1 was dangerous, just not compliant. Guess the acid test is if this question was in an exam what would your answer be Pic 1 or Pic 2 ? . And this nonsense about the boiler SFCU being fed from the fused side of the 1st SFCU is just folks back pedaling. Or does anyone think its a good idea to have the boiler turn off when you turn the light off?

At no point have I said Pic 1 was dangerous, just not compliant. Guess the acid test is if this question was in an exam what would your answer be Pic 1 or Pic 2 ? . And this nonsense about the boiler SFCU being fed from the fused side of the 1st SFCU is just folks back pedaling. Or does anyone think its a good idea to have the boiler turn off when you turn the light off?

Not back pedalling at all. I made a simple mistake of thinking the whole circuit was fused at 3a. I quickly realised my mistake and then admitted you was right.

Not back pedalling at all. I made a simple mistake of thinking the whole circuit was fused at 3a. I quickly realised my mistake and then admitted you was right.

Not talking about you mate. My previous posts in other threads have several incidences where I have realised I may be wrong and admitted the fact as you did. None of us are perfect , we all get it wrong sometimes. We`re on Page 7 because others wont admit it.

From what the OP has stated, the first picture is incorrect.
To comply with BS1363, double socket-outlets are tested at 20A, single socket-outlets and FCUs at 14A.
The fact that 3A fuses are installed, is no guarantee that they may not be changed. (Code C2 on a PIR.)
You might get away with permanently marking the FCUs, indicating that 3A is the maximum allowed.

That's why I love this forum. So may differing interpretations of the Regs. One says we cannot worry about what people do after we leave and another says they could be changed for another fuse rating. No criticism against anyone here at all but still very interesting all the same. I still say picture 2 is the one I would do. That way, anything after the 13 amp FCU is restricted. "They" can then do what they want.

These particular fuses are consumables.
They are intended to be replaced by ordinary persons.
As such you as the installer will have no control over whether someone replaces the 3A fuse with a 13A fuse.
It's one of the argumants used for the ban the BS3036 lobby.

Given that it is a ring final and not as thought a radial then as said Taffy is CORRECT AND APOLOGIES to him for any confusion.

Discussion on wether 6a draw from the ring being acceptable although not being a standard circuit is not confirmed by anyone

Reply to Spur with two sfcu on it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net