Stand my ground? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Stand my ground? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Ok so i'm currently working for an agency who have put me on this job which is quiet a good job with the prospect of a good 12 months work

found myself in a dilemma today though

We are upgrading the bonding, in fact introducing bonding cos there was none in this factory

But that is besides the point

The guy in charge of the job asked me to run a 95mm cable for bonding across the main face of one of the buildings, which is in full view of everyone

He asked me to cable tie this 95mm cable to an existing very large SWA cable

I was immediately not keen on this idea then when I planned the run I noticed that the SWA was not straight, it went up and down in places

Anyway I bit the bullet and did as he asked

After doing this I descended from the scissor lift and stood back disgusted at what I had just done

The fact that the green and yellow colour of the cable didnt help as it just accentuated every twist and turn of the poorly installed armour.

I then went back up the scissor lift and cut all of the cable ties off before going to see the guy and explaining that I was really not happy with the way the job was being done, not only did it make me look bad but also his representative company.

I further elaborated that just above the SWA was a wooden facing and a straight run which we could ping a line across and neatly tele cleat the cable, I told him I needed 60 cleats so advised him to buy 3 x bags of 25

He then told me that they hadnt priced for cleats or the extra time to put cleats in ( cleats £4 a bag ! )

He also stated that because it was 'day' work we had to just get the cable in pretty rapid and that he wouldnt think that cable tying along the SWA would look too bad.

I again stated that I wasnt happy, that I had worked hard at my trade, gained electrical qualifications and had a good rep for leaving a tidy job and that I was not happy with undermining this and dropping the standard of my work.

He said that he disageed with me again and that the cable would look ok

By this time its the end of the day and I am left pondering whether or not I should stand my ground on this or just follow instrucutions as I fear they might, because I'm agency, tell me to bugger off

What do you guys advise?

whilst it would make me cringe to do a sub-standard job, it's the employer who's putting the food on your table, so, bad as it seems, do what he says, just have to bite trhe bullet.

I would have quietly voiced my concerns once then left it at that - as agency you're not really responsible for how a job looks in terms of quality of materials.
Like the guy said, these jobs are often done to a budget; chances are he's as unhappy about it as you are and the last thing he wants is you going on about it.

I applaud your principles brizospark but unfortunately you are now amongst the ranks of us scumbag agency sparks and that is why the mob have hired you because they don't want the hassle of getting a proper job done, just a quick and "cheap as chips" job done!!! Welcome to the real world of sparkying it's a sad,bad depressing place to be but it puts bread on the table, so f&%£ 'em all!!!:59:

what happened to the saying if a jobs worth doing....?
A different argument could be that 'the job' is to do what the employer wants you to do without causing a fuss and without embarrassing them.
A lot of clients will tell you their main criteria is that the job is done cheaply. Show them a job like this one and ask them if it's really how they wanted it done and they'd say it is because it was done cheaply.
Similarly if you question everything you're being asked to do, the company can quite easily get someone else to do it without complaining; that's what they want.

I applaud your principles brizospark but unfortunately you are now amongst the ranks of us scumbag agency sparks and that is why the mob have hired you because they don't want the hassle of getting a proper job done, just a quick and "cheap as chips" job done!!! Welcome to the real world of sparkying it's a sad,bad depressing place to be but it puts bread on the table, so f&%£ 'em all!!!:59:

yep, first day as agency spark today. new tesco store. blokes got it on price and builders want more men so cue agency sparks. Not affecting guys price apparently and not really interested in us being there. Installation just slung in everywhere in grey flex ties to purlins etc.. get it in where you can.

cue hung head.

TBH I think you answered the question for yourself. A 12 month contract is well worth keeping them happy for, but you don't want to compromise your principles because he doesn't want to buy £12:00 worth of cleats. For the sake of £12:00 on such an exposed run I'd buy them myself.

That way you keep in with him for the contract, and anyone seeing the installation is more likely to give you work in the future. In other words, £12:00 for an advert is cheap.

TBH I think you answered the question for yourself. A 12 month contract is well worth keeping them happy for, but you don't want to compromise your principles because he doesn't want to buy £12:00 worth of cleats. For the sake of £12:00 on such an exposed run I'd buy them myself.

That way you keep in with him for the contract, and anyone seeing the installation is more likely to give you work in the future. In other words, £12:00 for an advert is cheap.

Totally disagree with that I'm afraid. If the engineer/manager/forman/whoever as told you he wants it done by tie wrapping to an existing SWA and you go out, buy cleats and do it totally different to what he wants, that is really going to make you his best friend. You have managed to undermine him. show him up and basically tell him you know better.

Just do the job as instructed, I would definately stand my ground if you thought that the extra weight of the bonding cable was deterimental to the SWA and could cuase it to become unattached to the wall, but if it is purely an aesthetic issue then you really have no say in it.

Ok so i'm currently working for an agency who have put me on this job which is quiet a good job with the prospect of a good 12 months work

found myself in a dilemma today though

We are upgrading the bonding, in fact introducing bonding cos there was none in this factory

But that is besides the point

The guy in charge of the job asked me to run a 95mm cable for bonding across the main face of one of the buildings, which is in full view of everyone

He asked me to cable tie this 95mm cable to an existing very large SWA cable

I was immediately not keen on this idea then when I planned the run I noticed that the SWA was not straight, it went up and down in places

Anyway I bit the bullet and did as he asked

After doing this I descended from the scissor lift and stood back disgusted at what I had just done

The fact that the green and yellow colour of the cable didnt help as it just accentuated every twist and turn of the poorly installed armour.

I then went back up the scissor lift and cut all of the cable ties off before going to see the guy and explaining that I was really not happy with the way the job was being done, not only did it make me look bad but also his representative company.

I further elaborated that just above the SWA was a wooden facing and a straight run which we could ping a line across and neatly tele cleat the cable, I told him I needed 60 cleats so advised him to buy 3 x bags of 25

He then told me that they hadnt priced for cleats or the extra time to put cleats in ( cleats £4 a bag ! )

He also stated that because it was 'day' work we had to just get the cable in pretty rapid and that he wouldnt think that cable tying along the SWA would look too bad.

I again stated that I wasnt happy, that I had worked hard at my trade, gained electrical qualifications and had a good rep for leaving a tidy job and that I was not happy with undermining this and dropping the standard of my work.

He said that he disageed with me again and that the cable would look ok

By this time its the end of the day and I am left pondering whether or not I should stand my ground on this or just follow instrucutions as I fear they might, because I'm agency, tell me to bugger off

What do you guys advise?

Is it your House? No? Then crack on with it - as long as you ain't being asked to contravene H&S or EAWR just do it. I understand your sentiment, but I'm sorry - You don't question something that you're told to do purely because you don't like how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Stand my ground? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net