Success! Meter fitted. | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Success! Meter fitted. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just like to thank everyone for their help and advice re by previous post, but contrary to some opinions, man from supplier came to fit meter this morning, and of course it is fitted and all working. He tested it thoroughly (checked polarity with a neon tester at isolator) and fitted the meter. Asked him if he wanted to see wiring certificate and reply was "No, not for a stable". I kid you not! Just as an aside, horses are still alive, but before I retired I was sometimes given a job to connect a rewire, usually after a cut-out change or a service alteration. Companies rules were 'as you are not part p registered you cannot test the installation, so no certificate, no connection'. So if I'd been given this job when I was working I wouldn't have connected it! It's a funny old world. That was before I knew it didn't come under part p, but no more on that please!
Forgot photo of meter etc
[ElectriciansForums.net] Success! Meter fitted.

It seems everyone has got so excited by the use of a volt stick to check polarity on what is, at that point, a TNC supply that nobody has mentioned the other obvious issues in the picture.

A BS951 earth clamp to connect to the means of earthing?
Where is the cable gland for the outgoing SWA (assuming it is SWA as it goes underground)?
And what is behind the flap on that plastic-looking CU?

Don't think anything wrong in using clamp on earth rod, it's not on the supply cable, and it certainly won't cause any crush damage. Using clamps on a lead sheath cable is a bit no no. Oour policy was if you came to a job and it had a clamp on the sheath, provided it was sound, no visible damage and ze ok then leave in situ. We had to use the tape and mesh type for the last few years I was working. I have seen some badly damaged cable by the old clamps, lots of them very loose, and the result of them going bang! We would not go looking for them, too many to change, same as metal clad cut outs, which changed if we find them. Still got some 30 amp rewireable cut outs up here, even some with fuses in live and neutral. To change any of them it's a make the service dead job, can't be worked on live.

Don't think anything wrong in using clamp on earth rod, it's not on the supply cable, and it certainly won't cause any crush damage.

They aren't really designed for this application, and most earth rods are smaller than the minimum diameter pipe that the earth clamp is suitable for.

What is the Ra of the earth electrode? Will the clamp handle the PFC?

Point taken about cu. I've got a plastic bodied one actually, that I was going to use but thought I would treat myself to a new one! I will swap it over. I also have a different clamp, with a bolt on one side, made of brass , will be a lot more substantial. Getting a ze of 46ohms.

Meter tails not harmonised, meter load tails stretched, not the best meter install.
I never connect customer tails into the load side of the isolator on a new install, ensure the isolator switch has a plastic lockout seal fitted same as the load terminal cover and the required warning notice is screwed to the back board.

Reply to Success! Meter fitted. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net