Supply to Shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Supply to Shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

soulman

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, after a bit of advice, i need to install a supply to a shed at the far end of a garden. There is to be a small consumer unit in the shed, feeding a couple of sockets and a 2 lights. The existing system is PME and the existing fuseboard has an upfront 30ma rcd, (use to be TT a few years ago). So the way i was thinking of doing it was to split the tails & install a small consumer unit next to the existing one a with a main switch and a 20a breaker to feed the circuit, pvc conduit up the side of the building into an adaptable box then SWA to the fuseboard in the shed. The fuseboard in the shed will have an upfront 30ma rcd & couple of breakers.

Anyone think of a better way or does this sound o.k

Cheers

No i am splitting before rcd, the customer wants a new consumer in the shed. I would normally take a supply from an existing unprotected fuse, but there isn't one. Also i dont need to protect the cable with an rcd going to the new fusebox on a TN system.

No calcs done yet. I am just looking at the most cost effective option didn't really want to have a consumer in the house as well as the one in the garage. I have spoken to a couple of sparks today who said i must rcd the supply to the shed. I said i would if it was tt, but buried or surface mounted on TN doesn't need it.

No calcs done yet. I am just looking at the most cost effective option didn't really want to have a consumer in the house as well as the one in the garage. I have spoken to a couple of sparks today who said i must rcd the supply to the shed. I said i would if it was tt, but buried or surface mounted on TN doesn't need it.

Why don't you rcd protect anyway? Put the rcd board in the house and non rcd board in the shed, then everything is rcd protected?

so did these electricians not understand the use of armoured subs to outbuildings on a TN?

The customer has specified that he doesn't want to go into the house to reset the rcd, if a lamp expires in the shed and trips the rcd. I dont think it is neccessary when using surface mounted conduit or surface or buried SWA on a TN system.

Ive lost count with the amount of times I have said this but will say it once again, splitting the tails would mean you would need to install a isolator as you need a main switch to isolate all supplies, I know no-one does it, well I do, haha but thought I'd mention it again.

[/QUOTE]because you dont want to be traipsing into the house to reset the damn thing whenever it lets go....
gardening maybe?...muddy boots perhaps?...[/QUOTE]

Good point Glenn! I'll just go back to my corner haha!

because you dont want to be traipsing into the house to reset the damn thing whenever it lets go....
gardening maybe?...muddy boots perhaps?...[/QUOTE]

Good point Glenn! I'll just go back to my corner haha![/QUOTE]na....join in fella...
take no notice of me.....
i like being crabby....

no if you have 2 consumer units bud you need one isolator to be there for both, not sure of the reg at the moment, I have put my BGB back in the van, but now you have asked I will try to look tommorrow if I get time.

You have the advantage over me as my book is in the van, however I'm fairly certain all electrical circuits need to be isolated at one source, I will have a good look tommorrow and post either way.

TBH, i can't find a reg. for that. looking at 537.1.4 it does not specifically stipulate a single isolator.

Quite right Tel My apologies, on this rare occassion I'm wrong :smilewinkgrin:
or perhaps a reg that was there once is no longer, that reg you stated could be looked at in different ways, however regardless of that I found a reg stating if there are mulipull supplies or more than one if you like a labell must be installed at source, so bearing this reg in mind it must be fine to do what the OP suggested, therefore bag on head time :13:

Reply to Supply to Shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net