Surface Meter tails, in plastic conduit? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Surface Meter tails, in plastic conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm quoting for a CU change, where I'll be replacing the meter tails (because of length). I will have to run the tails on the surface (less than 3m) on the outside wall. For a neater appearance and because the wall is pebble dashed, I was considering putting the tails (2 x 25mm) in 32mm conduit. Currently checking on-line, I can see that 32mm plastic conduit is available, but there seems hardly any fittings, bends etc. Can anyone advise, or suggest an alternative. Don't fancy swa.

This might not be fully up to date, but it explains the reasons not to do it.....

Building Regulations
Building Regulations 2000, Approved Document C, 2004 Edition, Section 5: Walls, paragraph 5.13 b Cavity external walls, requires, amongst other things, that a cavity external wall is at least 50 mm wide, and the cavity is to be bridged only by wall ties or by cavity trays provided to prevent moisture being carried to the inner leaf.
A cavity is intended to provide a gap to prevent water penetration. Cables could bridge this protection if they touch both the inner and outer leaves of a cavity wall. Furthermore, the cables could provide a route for water to drain directly into accessories, with potentially dangerous results

Hi DPG

The regulations are full of contadictions aren't they!

yes it says that but in reality as mentioned by others, the cavity is ptentially bridged by many other regulations (eg the one tat requires an insulated cavity!), the one that requires adequate ventilation, ....etc .

the way out is simple.

only work on 300 year old castles!!

Thanks chaps for your replies. I suppose swa would be easier, but I should of mentioned the supply is TT, so swa would require either a metalclad CU or some other form of termination before entering the cu. I have a question about that, but I'll post separately.

Why is that a problem?? You would need to terminate/gland the SWA cable no matter what the earthing system, or whether the CU is metal or plastic!!

more chances of the tails getting damaged in the trunking outside then in the cavity !?!?

cant see the difference between going up through a brick cavity or in the cavity outside of a timber frame house

Maybe the thinking is they're more likely to get inadvertently drilled into if they're in a wall cavity plus any damage would be visible rather than unknown.

Last edited:
Maybe the thinking is they're more likely to get inadvertently drilled into if they're in a wall cavity plus any damage would be visible rather than unknown.

true,

how often do you drill into a cavity wall ? and even if you did, at least the cables are free to move out of the way of the drill !

in my option, if cables are buried in the wall below the plaster than there's a much higher chance of you damaging them when you drill your hole to hang your pictures on the walls ! lol

Why is that a problem?? You would need to terminate/gland the SWA cable no matter what the earthing system, or whether the CU is metal or plastic!!

Okay, only seeking advice. I was refering to the regs (can't quote Act & Section!) about not using metalclad CU with TT supply, but I suppose that's when using double sheathed tails into CU. Never thought of using insulated with swa, some of those CU boxes are quite flimsey, and the swa armouring would be earthed at the CU. So that's that sorted. How do you terminated the other end (and I don't mean the gland!), so the swa 'tails' terminate into the meter?

Okay, only seeking advice. I was refering to the regs (can't quote Act & Section!) about not using metalclad CU with TT supply, but I suppose that's when using double sheathed tails into CU. Never thought of using insulated with swa, some of those CU boxes are quite flimsey, and the swa armouring would be earthed at the CU. So that's that sorted. How do you terminated the other end (and I don't mean the gland!), so the swa 'tails' terminate into the meter?

Use a metal clad consumer unit if your using SWA. And for the Meter end, just terminate into a metal adaptable box or switch

Use a metal clad consumer unit if your using SWA. And for the Meter end, just terminate into a metal adaptable box or switch

Nothing to stop you using a metal adaptable box or switch to terminate a SWA at a Plastic CU, in fact that's how most would supply such a CU with SWA cable. If your worried about the tails not having a sheath, then Double insulate them by applying an extra cover with heat shrink tubing, which will be an XLPE insulation!!

Reply to Surface Meter tails, in plastic conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net