swimming at work. | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss swimming at work. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

in my opinion, the only electrical thing that i would truly trust to last in water is a resin joint. That plant room that flooded, everythiong in it was supposedly ip68. it wasnt. i find that to waterproof JB's and othet boxes, you need to seal the screws with polyeurathene sealant, unless the box is designed to be screwed down outside the rubber seal, and you need to put vaseline on the rubber seal. Everything in this plant room required drying out, and the pressure transducers are shot.

More often than not, these IP68 enclosures do what they say on the box, It's the installation methods that fail these enclosures. ...can't tell you how many times on inspection i've found supplied fixing screw sealing caps absent, lids and doors not securely fastened, cable/conduit entries without sealing rings fitted, the list goes on and on. ..lol!!!

All these bits of kit have been type tested, many times by the various testing institutions, and wold not get the IP68 rating if they ever failed in these tests.
Having said that, It's always a good idea to apply a smear of vaseline or similar, to any exposed rubber type gasketing, whenever it has been disturbed by lid or door opening.

Reply to swimming at work. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

By the time you've dealt with isolator valves that won't shut off and drain valves that won't open, half a day will be gone before you've removed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A good challenge is always a good learning experience
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for letting us know. I think you made the right choice to be honest.
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have included more information on what happened after the motor stopped, and everything slowed down. The first thing I noticed was that the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Lucien, the open framed generator that goes with your engine is just generator ---- but I feel we are going to end up with a separate discussion...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks