T&E? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss T&E? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 26818

Has anyone else come across a cable where the cross-section is shaped like an eight, but is T&E?
Looks a bit like big speaker cable.

Yes, we get both the flat version and the figure of 8 version of T&E in South Africa. It's been around for a long time and there's more than one brand in that shape. I'm not sure if there's any pros or cons but it's pretty popular.

I've never seen it before last week.
This stuff's white, and seems a bit softer tha regular T&E.
Also seems to be harder to strip back the sheath neatly in tight spaces.
When I score the sheath and then use the earth as a cheeswire, it seems to tear rather than split at the score.
Don't know if this is due to the shape or because it's softer.

The only thing that might be of concern is the IP rating of glands if you use the type shaped for the flat sided T&E the rubber compression ring might not be effective on the figure of 8 shape.

[ElectriciansForums.net] T&E?

I got given a couple of drums of it last year on a job - came from Edmundsons (probably). Not LSF, just normal 2.5 T&E. Apart from looking slightly odd, can't remember it being awkward to work with. It was only a very slight figure of eight, not massive. My guess is that the logic follows that there is a lot of 'surplus' sheath in the middle section where the cpc is, so nip a bit out top and bottom and you use less material and have slightly lighter cable.

Reply to T&E? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net