Taking power to a Shed / Garage. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Taking power to a Shed / Garage. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sweeneyuk

After some advice from the experienced sparks out there.

I have built a concrete base at the end of my garden ready for a 15' x 10' summerhouse to go on.

I need to take power to it for s/o & lighting.

The shed is approx 12m from nearest part of house which is a kitchen extension.

Need to take pwr from main CU under stairs in the house, best route i can see is to take it up to my loft then out through eaves, down exterior wall around eaves on extension & along concrete fence posts.
My extension roof cavity doesnt line up with floor cavity of house so running under floorboards into extension roof cavity is out.

Questions.

1. should i run 10mm up to the loft & into an adaptable box by the eaves, run 10mm swa from the box out through eaves along walls & through black pvc conduit attached to fence posts?
then Run it straight in to a metal clad CU inside shed.

2. Could i just run 10mm t&e all the way using blk pvc conduit for the exterior run?

3. Should i use a 40A rcbo at main CU in house with a 32amcb ring in the shed or just a 20a mcb radial for s/o's? will use a 6Amcb cct for lighting.

Want to avoid burying anything as i have a patio in the way.
Looking for the easiest most cost effective way to take pwr to shed.

Have a load of 10mm left over which i'm hoping to use.

Did consider a fused spur from a s/o on kitchen ring in the extension but as this will limit me to 13a in total have now ruled it out.

Is there an easier way?

any help appreciated.

out of the options you have given i would take the 10mm up to the eaves where you can swap cable to swa and take outside along fence and into the shed terminating at the CU.

what earthing method are you using for the shed?? :)

No harm in using the 10mm if you already have it and it would otherwise go to waste. Do you have all the cable for the distribution circuit?

As for what protection: first thing is to determine your design current. Have you done this?

Obviously it depends upon the expected loading, but I would have thought a 20A radial for sockets would be sufficient for this summerhouse. If your loading includes any heating this can be on its own radial. You could then use a 32 or 40A at the house end depending on your design current.

Missus wants a bar inside, i will def be having a little workshop with max power item prob a 2kw chop saw. so other than lights there will poss be a tv & heater in winter. nothing decided for sure but want to have enough spare capacity to future proof.

Will i need to add an earth rod?

Shed CU will be rcd protected, swa earthed at 1 end if i use 3 core swa & use 3rd conductor for earth.
Main CU will have a 40a rcbo on my split load board.

Been a while since i completed 2360 have worked for thames water since so my knowledge 100% without going back to my notes & books but how do i determine if an earth rod will be required ?
Will the rod be in addition to existing cpc or do i not run earth continuity from main house if using a rod?

Just for info sake, if i were to come off the kitchen ring with a fused spur, would i still run it into a CU in the shed? Presumeably i'd have to down rate the mcb's for radial & lights on the shed CU not to exceed the 13a FCU in the kitchen right?

Does the SWA have to be buried or in conduit? pvc conduit may sag on the runns between the fence posts as mentioned, running the swa along the fence posts will also sag.

really dont want to have to lift the patio slabs etc as i will have to go under a wall & all sorts to bury, what other options are there?

appreciate all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
It used to be that you contacted the DNO before exporting the earth on TN-C-S.
It appears nowadays that you'll be lucky to even find someone at the DNO who knows what colour their hair is without using a mirror.
If your system is TN-C-S, and you have extraneous-conductive-parts in the shed/garage, you will either have to provide an adequately sized bonding conductor (10mm² minimum), or TT the shed/garage. Whilst the armour of the SWA will most likely be sufficient as a CPC, it will not be sufficient to act as a bonding conductor. If you do TT the shed/garage, then you will have to keep the main installation earthing separate from the she/garage sytem.

I wouldn't protect the SWA with an RCBO, as this will not minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault, and as you intend installing an RCD at the shed/garage, this will mean there are two RCDs in series.

If you were to spur off the kitchen ring, you would not neccessarily have to install a CU in the shed/garage, you could spur off again for the lights in the shed/garage. However by doing such, you would be limited as to the load you could have in the shed/garage.
You would not have to bury or use conduit for the SWA, as the armour provides mechanical protection. If you were to use T&E, then depending on the route, mechanical protection may well be advisable.

To my mind, the best way would be to use SWA from a non-RCD protected way in the house CU to the shed/garage. Install a CU at the shed/garage with an RCBO for the socket-outlets.
As you have some T&E knocking around, then it might be cheaper to use that, and run it in conduit, the only thing being that you will have to RCD protect the T&E if it is concealled in any walls. If you do then you would not require RCD protection at the shed/garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
as spin says, but would not spur off kitchen as you would be limited to 13A total. your chop saw and heater wouldpossibly wipe the 13A fuse out. SWA IMO, is the best way to go. if you space the cleats closely, you won't get sagging.

Reply to Taking power to a Shed / Garage. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net