Terminating an armoured onto a cee form plug....bad practice? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Terminating an armoured onto a cee form plug....bad practice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tidy Max

Alreety chaps,

got a quick one for you.

How do you all feel about terminating armored cable onto a 32A ceeform plug? If i went to a job and saw this i would think it was abit odd/what cowboy had done it, HOWEVER.

A client has had a bit of a man shed built in his back yard and it covers the drain cover. So with that in mind its been made so if any emergency access is needed to the drains (re: banging poo) the shed can be moved with a pallet truck....... but not if my armored is permanently terminated.

So, i figured i would be best running the armor out of the shed, up to a ceeform/isolator on the wall. It will most likely sit there for years and never be unplugged, but in the event it needs to be the client doesn't need to contact a spark or take a screwdriver in his hand and do some damage. He can just flip the isolator and unplug the shed and move it with the pallet truck!

I can't say ive ever seen an armoured into a ceeform though its always SY. But...is it really that bad to do?!

its really not that bad! the sheds just over 2/2.5m long and is about 1.5m wide. The back yard is VERY tight for space so the rest of the space just allows the VW lupo to fit through the roller shutter. As mentioned they haven't had any problems but it was just a what IF scenario.

Seeing as he has paid the joiner to put a back on the shed rather than using the existing brick wall thought i may as well do my bit too! Just wanted to check there was no obvious oversight on my part using armored with ceeform!

Surely it would be more hassel to move the drain!

Cheers for the input though :)

Im a little surprised at the replies here.... swa is not a flexible style cable for routine or even occasional moving on its glanded termination... doing so can cause the armour to pull away in areas thus leaving a looser gland connection, even leaving spare and moving the shed while connected can create problems on the gland....unless you ensure the cable is fixed tight and no movement will be imposed on the gland itself.

Im a little surprised at the replies here.... swa is not a flexible style cable for routine or even occasional moving on its glanded termination... doing so can cause the armour to pull away in areas thus leaving a looser gland connection, even leaving spare and moving the shed while connected can create problems on the gland....unless you ensure the cable is fixed tight and no movement will be imposed on the gland itself.

Cable would be secured surely so no stress whatsoever on the gland termination!

Whilst I'm inclined to agree with you, it's not all that bad - there are far worse crimes! I had to resort to putting a 63A plug on the end of a 3c SWA a few weeks ago as a means to power a temp hut on a building site where there was a roadway in the way - just bonded the cable at the supply end only. (There was other protection to it, btw, ramps etc, but I wouldn't have been happy using anything other than an armoured)

Reply to Terminating an armoured onto a cee form plug....bad practice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back