Testing Immersion circuit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Testing Immersion circuit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi i seem to be in need of advice to day...thanks to all for help...

another question.

When carrying out R1+R2. Zs. RCD trip on a circuit for immersion tank. Is required test from the Isolator (not inc the flex to Element) or would test from element inc flex.......

Do i need to rephrase this.....Should i test from the connections at tank L N E through to the 20amp DP isolator (Switch On) back to board thus including the flex to Isolator in test and rest of circuit (2.5 Radial 16amp). Or am i only required to test from the 20 DP ISO back to board. Leaving out the flex. to tank.

Thinking maybe ive confused it even more prob

Thanks guys i thought was case but then i had bee in my bonnet was different story with Supplies to heating elements/tanks for some reason. could not find what i needed to in regs... GN 3?

i suppose theres nothing stopping you testing at the element and recording that value for peace of mind and just change no. of points on test sheet to 2.

Surely it would still only be one point on the test cert, a simple switch or isolator is not a point, I've always understood the number of points are only items that draw a load. Lights, sockets or elements etc..

Surely it would still only be one point on the test cert, a simple switch or isolator is not a point, I've always understood the number of points are only items that draw a load. Lights, sockets or elements etc..

ive always put it as 2 points as theres 2 connections (one in the switch/isolator/dp switch and the other on the element where the test is been taken from) same as cooker circuits when it includes an outlet and combie boilers if i test from the boiler itself instead of the spur.

i guess its just preference unless theres a reg/NIC guideline not to do it i havn't heard of?

thanks

ive always put it as 2 points as theres 2 connections (one in the switch/isolator/dp switch and the other on the element where the test is been taken from) same as cooker circuits when it includes an outlet and combie boilers if i test from the boiler itself instead of the spur.

i guess its just preference unless theres a reg/NIC guideline not to do it i havn't heard of?

thanks

So the when you count all lights up on a circuit you must be including all light switches too? I'll count the cooker as 2 only if the isolator has a socket outlet incorporated into it..

So the when you count all lights up on a circuit you must be including all light switches too? I'll count the cooker as 2 only if the isolator has a socket outlet incorporated into it..

An Immersion is one point, period.
When I have been audited, never have I been questioned about how many accessories on a circuit.

Point Definitions part 2
A termination of the fixed wiring intended for the connection of current using equipment

There is one termination of the fixed wiring for the heater element, that ought to apply to a cooker control with a socket as well

hmmmm good point. but as for the cooker i count 2 weather it has a socket on the ccu or not. theres 2 points of connection (cooker control and cooker outlet)

I'm with Trucky, I test at the immersion terminals as it's usually easier to get to them. Also I have come across an immersion that wasn't earthed, so testing at the immersion tests for this.

Would i have an issue with an assessment officer if tested from the DP switch...OR say in 2391 is this something that comes up? would i be expected to do at boiler or ISO?

And surly

hmmmm good point. but as for the cooker i count 2 weather it has a socket on the ccu or not. theres 2 points of connection (cooker control and cooker outlet)

Just because there's a join it does not always count as an additional point, as telectrix also says, 1 point of utilisation.

If your counting every connection as a point then a lighting circuit with all the switches and possible JB joins could end up being in your case 20 points but only 6 pendants on the circuit.

Reply to Testing Immersion circuit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net