SPD2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss SPD2 in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok need advice.

Two domestic consumer units both fed of same Escos ideally should only have been one but she to it being an older house and the location of DNO equipment this was not possible without unreasonable expense. As both are beside each other and fed from same Escos could 1 SPD 2 in one consumer unit service the circuits on both boards???

Any help be appreciated.

J

Ok need advice.

Two domestic consumer units both fed of same Escos ideally should only have been one but she to it being an older house and the location of DNO equipment this was not possible without unreasonable expense. As both are beside each other and fed from same Escos could 1 SPD 2 in one consumer unit service the circuits on both boards???

Any help be appreciated.

J
One spd should benefit both.

What is the total length of cable between Lin at the isolator of the non-SPD board, via the SPD in the other board, to earth?
It's supposed to be less than 50cm.
I suspect your suggestion might result in less protection for the second board.
The boards are literally beside each other. Maybe a difference of 10/15 cm tails from same Henley Blocks. DNO is NIE (Northern Ireland) wanted to charge 300 quid to move the meter and head.

The boards are literally beside each other. Maybe a difference of 10/15 cm tails from same Henley Blocks.
Just to emphasise the 50cm 'rule' I was talking about, some theory below. A surge is shunted to earth, so the length of the earth connection used is part of the calculation. So distance of Lin of second CU to Lin of first CU (if that's where the SPD is going), plus distance from Lin to MCB protecting SPD, plus distance MCB out to SPD, plus distance from SPD earth terminal to main earth bond. All those added together is supposed to be less than 50cm, and if it is that, the household could still get a 500V surge on top of the mains voltage (strictly on top of the SPD cut-in voltage)!

IMG_0745.jpeg

Just to emphasise the 50cm 'rule' I was talking about, some theory below. A surge is shunted to earth, so the length of the earth connection used is part of the calculation. So distance of Lin of second CU to Lin of first CU (if that's where the SPD is going), plus distance from Lin to MCB protecting SPD, plus distance MCB out to SPD, plus distance from SPD earth terminal to main earth bond. All those added together is supposed to be less than 50cm, and if it is that, the household could still get a 500V surge on top of the mains voltage (strictly on top of the SPD cut-in voltage)!

View attachment 118111
Regulation 534.4.8 SPD installation shall
preferably not exceed 0.5m and in no
case exceed 1m

Reply to SPD2 in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net