Thailand transformer opinions please. | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Thailand transformer opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok here's a few pictures of my mates transformer that supplies his property, his property is in northern Thailand.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Thailand transformer opinions please.[ElectriciansForums.net] Thailand transformer opinions please.[ElectriciansForums.net] Thailand transformer opinions please.

I know the pictures are not great but the tranny doesn't look like it has an earth.
If it has no earth what would members suggest doing to make it safer?
I was thinking:

1. Rod the neutral at the property end to keep the neutral at a safe voltage.
2. Wire the place as normal and then put in a separate earth rod at a certain distance from the neutral rod.
3. RCD or RCBO everything.

I was thinking of installing two rods, one for the neutral and one for the earth so that in the event of say a lost neutral (I'm not a scare monger) the voltage on the metalwork would not jump up, I think a lost neutral in this part of the world is a probable occurrence what with storms and overhead lines.

Does this sound good to people, does this sound like a sensible approach?
Are there any inherent dangers in this approach?
Am I on the right track?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Looks like that's the mystery solved. I'll admit, I'd never have thought of using the poles reenforcing as an Ufer earth.

PS the tap, all oil filled transformers have them. Usualy with a bung fitted. They are especialy designed for numb-nuts elecricians mates to leave part open, as i found out in the middle of the night when half the works shut down. 20MVA transformers don't like running low on oil.

Usually used just as the down conductor, then a rod or whatever taken off that down conductor. In this case that may be a galvanised plate that runs down to ground level shown in the photo's, so the rod would be taken of of that plate probably underground where it can't be readily seen... Can't really see too clearly, if that is a plate sitting in a recess on the pole, in some photo's it does indeed look as if it is...

Reply to Thailand transformer opinions please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back