Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not sure! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not sure! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am thinking bout going into voltage optimisation, i think this technology went unnoticed domestically due to the solar being a biggy in the energy market and now with it dying off due to goverment tariff cuts i think if more people understood voltage optimisation, alot more people would have it.
Just wondering if any other companies have tried, been successful or failed and if anyone else thinks this might be the next step into cutting forever growing energy bills!!!!

Any information you may have would be grately appreciated.

Re: Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not s

voltage optimisation only works on lighting. you get dimmer lights. end of.

Re: Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not s

Then why are companies such as v phase, voltishome and others say they can save you up to 20% on electricity bill and prolong the life of electric appliances???? I myself dont believe it just works on lighting!!! Is it something you've looked into personally or is it just an opinion????

I had a company try selling it with solar today for £1000 installed! How would you ever make that back!

Ive looked into the pricing and i have got my figures down to a maximum pay back period of 4 years, 18 months in some cases depending on the electrcity bill, £1000 is crazy money for it, lol

I know, i know how much they cost so £1000 is extortion. It can only be an hours labour in most cases. Not sure how they work with Pv though sending voltage back through

I have looked into it, and there has been many posts on here about it too.
And in a real life situation will save between 8-13% on electricity bills, this does depend on supply voltage of course.
Where you do not benefit is with a heating element, well on savings anyway, less power means it runs for longer to reach the required temperature.
Industry has been using it for years, and will spend £1000's, why? because it works.

think about it. say you are heating water. it takes a certain amount of energy to heat the water by a specific temperature. if you reduce the voltage, then you either increase the current or increase the time. either way, still the same amount of energy used.

with v phase, you would need a split board so you only supply one side of the board with voltage optimisation then you would have pv on the other side, this is how you'd overcome that problem i think, not absolutely sure thou, ive worked out i could i buy install and make a profit for £450.00 including VAT and ive had alot of interest, at this price ive still got alot of room for hagglers!!!! lol

I know, i know how much they cost so £1000 is extortion. It can only be an hours labour in most cases. Not sure how they work with Pv though sending voltage back through

You can not send PV back through a voltage opimiser,
I have pointed this out before also.

It works but beware the salesman that says he can get 20%, 6.5% is more typical and you will need a proper survey to determine what will and wont give you a saving, works best for Inductive loads or Motors, also depends on supply voltage as said before you should eb able to get a home unit for £350

think about it. say you are heating water. it takes a certain amount of energy to heat the water by a specific temperature. if you reduce the voltage, then you either increase the current or increase the time. either way, still the same amount of energy used.
Yeah i understand where your coming from, but anything with thermostatic controls you keep from voltage optimisation, obviously kettles and things you plug in only take a few minutes to heat up so it wouldnt really make a difference, just take abit longer to heat your water up!!! But things like washing machines, refridgerators, tv, things that are on for a long time is where you'd make your savings!!!

I totally agree, what about a motor, TV, heatpump, or many of the other household appliances?
They are designed to run at their optimum of 220V, grid voltage is often 245V or even up to 253V, so to optimise this back down to 220V makes sense, your light bulbs will last longer too.

Then why are companies such as v phase, voltishome and others say they can save you up to 20% on electricity bill and prolong the life of electric appliances???? I myself dont believe it just works on lighting!!! Is it something you've looked into personally or is it just an opinion????
As Tel says, it only works on lighting. It's Ohms law at the end of the day. It probably will prolong the life of some appliances because a 3kw element is probably only taking 2.6Kw (just guessed, haven't done the maths), but on the reverse of that it will take longer to heat up.
Used to put in industrial units and had to only put it on the lighting. In car parks it was fine until a circuit was not marked properly and then the ticket machines and barriers would not work because the electronics were voltage sensitive.

It works but beware the salesman that says he can get 20%, 6.5% is more typical and you will need a proper survey to determine what will and wont give you a saving, works best for Inductive loads or Motors, also depends on supply voltage as said before you should eb able to get a home unit for £350

Yeah ive heard alot of companies say they can achieve, 22% which is rubbish!!! V phase say its around 8- 12%, is that price including installation????

As Tel says, it only works on lighting. It's Ohms law at the end of the day. It probably will prolong the life of some appliances because a 3kw element is probably only taking 2.6Kw (just guessed, haven't done the maths), but on the reverse of that it will take longer to heat up.
Used to put in industrial units and had to only put it on the lighting. In car parks it was fine until a circuit was not marked properly and then the ticket machines and barriers would not work because the electronics were voltage sensitive.

Im on about the domestic market and designated circuits not the whole board, anything with thermostatic controls would be untouched!, Obviously the kitchen ring would still be optimised, but it would only mean it would take abit longer to heat the kettle up or toast your toast!!!

Yeah ive heard alot of companies say they can achieve, 22% which is rubbish!!! V phase say its around 8- 12%, is that price including installation????

No thats just the unit, try Apex wiring, Durham way I think, best of all its a British made unit!

Im on about the domestic market and designated circuits not the whole board, anything with thermostatic controls would be untouched!, Obviously the kitchen ring would still be optimised, but it would only mean it would take abit longer to heat the kettle up or toast your toast!!!
I understand what you are saying and agree about normal voltage being above 240 but i wonder what would happen at peak times when the voltage may go down to 220V, would the unit still drop the voltage down by 20% or whatever it is set at?

I understand what you are saying and agree about normal voltage being above 240 but i wonder what would happen at peak times when the voltage may go down to 220V, would the unit still drop the voltage down by 20% or whatever it is set at?
No it stays the same!!!

They drop it to around 220V, however, there are different units on the market and one of the common ones goes into bypass at above 20A or less than 5A, so pretty pointless me thinks.
My person view is they are very good, but you need to do your homework as to which unit is the best, I did.

I still don't see any way these things can save a home any money at all. Tel's example of the kettle is spot on imho but then Yop said it would be installed on the kitchen RFC to save cash there. Everything takes longer to heat up so where is the saving coming from? I still think these things are smoke and mirrors and until someone can show me otherwise there is no way in hell I would have one at home or advise a client that they're a good idea

They drop it to around 220V, however, there are different units on the market and one of the common ones goes into bypass at above 20A or less than 5A, so pretty pointless me thinks.
My person view is they are very good, but you need to do your homework as to which unit is the best, I did.

Yeah, wat this guys said!!!! lol, what unit would you recommend????

Reply to Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not sure! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net