Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not sure! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not sure! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am thinking bout going into voltage optimisation, i think this technology went unnoticed domestically due to the solar being a biggy in the energy market and now with it dying off due to goverment tariff cuts i think if more people understood voltage optimisation, alot more people would have it.
Just wondering if any other companies have tried, been successful or failed and if anyone else thinks this might be the next step into cutting forever growing energy bills!!!!

Any information you may have would be grately appreciated.

Re: Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not s

I still don't see any way these things can save a home any money at all. Tel's example of the kettle is spot on imho but then Yop said it would be installed on the kitchen RFC to save cash there. Everything takes longer to heat up so where is the saving coming from? I still think these things are smoke and mirrors and until someone can show me otherwise there is no way in hell I would have one at home or advise a client that they're a good idea
The savings would be from your fridge and freezer thats on 24/7, the kettle is on for a few minutes max, id rather wait an extra minute for my cup of tea knowing im saving money to be honest, than to keep the circuit untouched!!!

Re: Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not s

I still don't see any way these things can save a home any money at all. Tel's example of the kettle is spot on imho but then Yop said it would be installed on the kitchen RFC to save cash there. Everything takes longer to heat up so where is the saving coming from? I still think these things are smoke and mirrors and until someone can show me otherwise there is no way in hell I would have one at home or advise a client that they're a good idea

Tesco used to put them in all there stores because they work, they have now backed off that tho and are using super low loss transformers instead as they are more cost effective.

Ok then so how do I save money on running the fridge freezer and smoke alarms, they're the only things running in our home 24/7.

Ok then so how do I save money on running the fridge freezer and smoke alarms, they're the only things running in our home 24/7.

Because most things around the house are designed to run at 220 volts, so its not just the fridge its everything without a thermostatic control!!!

Tesco used to put them in all there stores because they work, they have now backed off that tho and are using super low loss transformers instead as they are more cost effective.

Yeah i understand this commercially there are other ways to save money but with the domestic market, there is only voltage optimisation at the moment unless someone knows different?

[h=2][/h]
"More proof they work required? We have done a 50kw installation for a local council and they had voltage optimisation fitted in the basement to lower the voltage for the entire site, this was a 400amp three phase unit that had been fitted at least a year before the PV. I was speaking to the facilities management team and they didn't think it would work when it was fitted but the proof was in the pudding with a 10% reduction in electricity consumption and no changes to usage patterns. They did have a large proportion of fluorescent lighting in the building so assuming the age of the building I would imagine it was not HF, also there was some air-conditioning equipment which would have been running 24hrs a day and so the reduced voltage would have helped reduced that load at the expense of less power at the motors."​

"That's the biggest problem with Voltage Optimisation: worthless opinions from people who've never used them.
My Voltis has saved me around 7-8%. Only fitted it to see if they work. As far as I'm concerned, it does."

These two quotes were lifted from another thread, real life situations, so do they work?

Because most things around the house are designed to run at 220 volts, so its not just the fridge its everything without a thermostatic control!!!
Sell me the concept Yoz, I'm not deliberately being awkward here it's just that I can't see how these things offer me a saving. Ok things are designed to run at a range of voltages from x to y but what's coming in at the service head?
That's right a range from x to y which we have no control over.
They seem little more than a step down transformer and does operating your mains voltage drill cost any more than running you 110?

"More proof they work required? We have done a 50kw installation for a local council and they had voltage optimisation fitted in the basement to lower the voltage for the entire site, this was a 400amp three phase unit that had been fitted at least a year before the PV. I was speaking to the facilities management team and they didn't think it would work when it was fitted but the proof was in the pudding with a 10% reduction in electricity consumption and no changes to usage patterns. They did have a large proportion of fluorescent lighting in the building so assuming the age of the building I would imagine it was not HF, also there was some air-conditioning equipment which would have been running 24hrs a day and so the reduced voltage would have helped reduced that load at the expense of less power at the motors."​

"That's the biggest problem with VoltageOptimisation: worthless opinions from people who've never used them.
My Voltis has saved me around 7-8%. Only fitted it to see if they work. As far as I'm concerned, it does."

These two quotes were lifted from another thread, real life situations, so do they work?

Yeah, thanks for that post, i only asked for some advise and find myself educating other sparks!!! Some people obviously need to look into it more before they comment, my opinion!!! No offence to anyone, maybe this has changed your opinion of them!!!

basic law of physics. energy out = energy in. if you lose some energy in. i.e. reduced bills. then you're getting less energy out, be it in dimmer lighting or whatever.

Sell me the concept Yoz, I'm not deliberately being awkward here it's just that I can't see how these things offer me a saving. Ok things are designed to run at a range of voltages from x to y but what's coming in at the service head?
That's right a range from x to y which we have no control over.
They seem little more than a step down transformer and does operating your mains voltage drill cost any more than running you 110?
Step down transformer give off alot of heat, which as we all know is due to electricity, voltage optimisers reduce voltage and also the heat in appliances, so with an optimiser fitted, your dvd player, tv should be alot cooler to touch!!! Unlike a step down transformer!!!

So in post 27 you claim I will make savings on the things that are on 24/7 yet in 37 you claim savings on our DVD player.
What's it to be mate, continually used items or everything in the house? because either way the questions still stand

basic law of physics. energy out = energy in. if you lose some energy in. i.e. reduced bills. then you're getting less energy out, be it in dimmer lighting or whatever.

Yeah ur right, you will get dimmer lights but, like iv said before, everything in the uk is designed to work at 220 volts so it wont be a massive change in dimness, and anything subjected to fluxuated voltages actually harm electrical equipment, (burns them out faster) if you use a voltage optimisers, everything thats under the optimised circuit will last longer, especially lighting making even more savings!!!

That is correct, but do you need your lights glowing at their maximum to be able to see, or can you still see fine if they are working at the lower end of the rated voltage?

So in post 27 you claim I will make savings on the things that are on 24/7 yet in 37 you claim savings on our DVD player.
What's it to be mate, continually used items or everything in the house? because either way the questions still stand

Designated circuits on a split board, you keep one side normal 240volts with things like your cooker, shower, emmersion heater anything with a thermostatic control, the other side of the board you change the supply to the optimiser so that side is run on 220 volts, kitchen ring, upstairs ring, downstairs ring, lighting and smoke alarms, this is where you will save your money! Sure i answered this earlier on!!! Does this answer your question? If your not sure how it all works look at www.vphase.co.uk

I understand what you are saying and agree about normal voltage being above 240 but i wonder what would happen at peak times when the voltage may go down to 220V, would the unit still drop the voltage down by 20% or whatever it is set at?

TOPCAT in cinemas now 3D (thats where hes been )

Increasingly consumer appliances, computers, audio-visual equipment etc. are using Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) because of their inherent wide input voltage and frequency range at high efficiency. This allows the manufacturer to have one design that suits all worldwide markets.
SMPS have feedback from the secondary (output) side to maintain regulation of the output voltage, this feedback is used to control the Mark/Space ratio, the output switching transistors on to off time. If the supply voltage is lowered, the switching transistor is switched on for a longer period to maintain the output voltage and more current is drawn from the supply to compensate. So no savings are made by the implementation of ‘supply voltage optimisation’ where the current using equipment is powered via SMPS.
A negative side effect of the higher Mark/Space ratio (lower Pulse Repetition Frequency) is the frequency of operation can be shifted into the audio range and cause annoying whine or squeals from effected SMPS. If this also happens to be a harmonic of the supply frequency a resonance can occur which makes this effect extremely irritating to the user.

Increasingly consumer appliances, computers, audio-visual equipment etc. are using Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) because of their inherent wide input voltage and frequency range at high efficiency. This allows the manufacturer to have one design that suits all worldwide markets.
SMPS have feedback from the secondary (output) side to maintain regulation of the output voltage, this feedback is used to control the Mark/Space ratio, the output switching transistors on to off time. If the supply voltage is lowered, the switching transistor is switched on for a longer period to maintain the output voltage and more current is drawn from the supply to compensate. So no savings are made by the implementation of ‘supply voltage optimisation’ where the current using equipment is powered via SMPS.
A negative side effect of the higher Mark/Space ratio (lower Pulse Repetition Frequency) is the frequency of operation can be shifted into the audio range and cause annoying whine or squeals from effected SMPS. If this also happens to be a harmonic of the supply frequency a resonance can occur which makes this effect extremely irritating to the user.

Umm, dont really understand what your saying???? So if im right, this is more to do with the commercial market????

Yeah ive looked into both of them, think il use vphase and voltis, and let the customer decide wat they want. How much do you sell them for?

Reply to Thinking about going into domestic and commercial voltage optimisation, but not sure! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net