This could be a daft, or really important question... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss This could be a daft, or really important question... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

If you had a 3ph dist board and for example in the kitchen there was a dishwasher on 1 phase and the sockets on another, and their exposed conductive parts were within reach of each other must this be considered in case someone touches both in fault conditions and gets 400v up one arm and down the other or is it deemed such a small risk that you dont worry about it.

Like I said it may be a really stoopid question but I dont know the answer. Happy to look up in regs book but i think to find it (or not) it may take all night.

Thanks boys and girls

Very common on industrial lighting, where one or two phases are common in the grid switching.....BS answer is to clearly mark the switches or outlets, that 400v maybe present..

Not quite right, I got corrected on this a short while back and made myself sick on heaps of humble pie!

You only need to label when a nominal voltage higher than 230V to earth exists. Apparently the regs have changed and what you said was previously included, but now isn't :)

From the BGB 514.10.1:Every item of equipment or enclosure within which a nominal voltage exceeding 230 volts to earth exists and where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected, shall be so arranged that before access is gained to a live part, a warning of the maximum voltage present is clearly visible.
230V to earth - no mention between phases. GN1 pg 25 also covers this.

So no labels required under 17th Edition

Last edited:
Field marshall Rommel beat us to it. absolutely correct. the electrical world has gone sticker crazy. next thing is showers and kettles will be stickered up with "WARNING, HOT WATER". FFS.

A big notice at the front door on the outside wall , 4 ft square could cover the whole house , a disclaimer for every single thing in the house , mine says beware of the wife as well , dogs all right mind you , those door mats are good as well,, lol..

On a hair dryer.....DO NOT USE IN SHOWER!!!!
Or maybe an electric fire....NOT DISH WASHER FRIENDLY
Or maybe our tool bags should be labelled....THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN NUTS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes wish they had put a sticker on the range on the counter in my local chippie

I always seem to have bare skin available for toasting when waiting for the chips, then leaning lazily until awoken with pain of biblical proportions

I had to edit the bare skin spelling,its just not me

Are you saying then that now if you have two plug sockets say 6 inches apart on different phases, you would not put a sticker on between saying "<-- 400v Between -->" or is this a myth as I cannot seem to find it in the BGB.

A house that we have is being let out, its got storage heaters on a three phase supply in addition to the normal supply, i have put storage heater outlets literally 2 inches away from plug sockets on another phase. I have put a small sticker yet visible on the storage heater outlets that says ""<-- 400v Between -->" because I felt it right to do so encase some numpty doesn't realise if they get someone to look at it who's not me.

Don't get me wrong, I fully accept people might think whats that or get scared, but to cover my back I have put them on.
[ElectriciansForums.net] This could be a daft, or really important question...

McDonald's put a heat warning on their apple pie thingies (can't recall the name) - when you bite into one you quickly discover that the contents is at about 500c :dizzy2:

They should put a warning on all their food "Warning may contain lips, anuses, and eyelids, and taste like 3 week old warmed up roadkill"

They should put a warning on all their food "Warning may contain lips, anuses, and eyelids, and taste like 3 week old warmed up roadkill"

A McDonalds not to far from here, actually it was my local one yet I never went in there, they used to sell a Spunk Burger, well one day they did anyway. Jist of the story is a lady had a burger from there, didnt eat it all and left some in the car, anyway, she then that weeks gets blisters etc in her mouth and on her lips. Anyway... jist of it is three different peoples jizz was found in the burger, and they all happened to work in the kitchen bit on that night she went in there.

Reply to This could be a daft, or really important question... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back