Currently reading:
Thoughts on heat-shrink tubing with internal adhesive liner for isolator poles?

Discuss Thoughts on heat-shrink tubing with internal adhesive liner for isolator poles? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Now and again I nip a tiny faction too much off the incoming lines inserted into the isolator. As routine I heat-shrink over. However recently noticed the boss prefers to use adhesive lined shrink. Any thoughts regarding adhesive-lined shrinks being used on 100A isolator lines?

7 strand 25mm, already having spent ages routing and shaping. In most cases I do trim the conductors and no problem. In the few cases where I'm routing in, a slight trim will make the turn-in too tight or just give me a head trying to get the bend in, always dependant on where the lines are coming in. Straight in from north or south never an issue, but in the west/east cases I end up shrinking, to be fair we're only ever talking about a mill of shiny copper, but forcing that mill out in an already shaped bend requires serious weetabix.

But putting the above aside. I know in HV cases they do use adhesive lined shrinking, though never seen it personally in LV. Saw the old guy doing it on a couple of occassions and thought I'd ask what others thoughts are on this. Nothing in the regs I can see regarding adhesive-lined shrinks.

7 strand 25mm, already having spent ages routing and shaping. In most cases I do trim the conductors and no problem. In the few cases where I'm routing in, a slight trim will make the turn-in too tight or just give me a head trying to get the bend in, always dependant on where the lines are coming in. Straight in from north or south never an issue, but in the west/east cases I end up shrinking, to be fair we're only ever talking about a mill of shiny copper, but forcing that mill out in an already shaped bend requires serious weetabix.

But putting the above aside. I know in HV cases they do use adhesive lined shrinking, though never seen it personally in LV. Saw the old guy doing it on a couple of occassions and thought I'd ask what others thoughts are on this. Nothing in the regs I can see regarding adhesive-lined shrinks.

Glue lined or Bonded shrink wrap tubing is thicker than standard heat shrink, it is designed to be a secure and permanent method of insulating heavier wires, whilst standard heat shrink can if required be cut off, the glue lined heat shrink can't.

Glue lined or Bonded shrink wrap tubing is thicker than standard heat shrink, it is designed to be a secure and permanent method of insulating heavier wires, whilst standard heat shrink can if required be cut off, the glue lined heat shrink can't.

Right. Definitley is a thicker stronger more abrasion resistant looking material, also needs more heat to melt, the one he uses does anyway.

Of course I've seen it used in industrial environments, seen it at a few rural commercial jobs, where sealing from the elements is a priority so many connections tend to be adhesive shrinked. Just never seen it done in a typical residential environment, and thought maybe there is a reason for it. I presume the 'permanent' aspect is probably why.... though one could add 'cost' onto that too, the stuff he uses costs a fair amount.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Thoughts on heat-shrink tubing with internal adhesive liner for isolator poles? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock