Three phase cable size | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Three phase cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone tl ell me how to work out the size of an existing supply cable.
It is a three phase supply into 200A fuses. The cable is buried in concrete ground and so I cannot see any markings on it.
I've had a look at the cables upstream of the fuses and they look to be at least twice as larg as 25 mm tails would be. But on second thoughts 25 mm tails would have double insulation and these cables only have single so could be larger.
Tha cable also looks triangular in shape.
The REC has split the supply from the 200A fuses into two different three phase 100A supply service heads.
I guess SWA cable often surprises me as the cores often look smaller then I would expect.
For example the cores on a16 mm SWA I was working with recently looked more like 6mm to me.
Any explanation would be very much appreciTed.

sorry Ted...?....but I think a bit of experience and common sense is called for. ......Three years as a member though :confused5:

Don't want sarcastic remarks ipf. Just some advice.
Yet again I come on here and get some stuck up pr### replying., but no real help.
I don't do a lot of commercial stuff.
Someone else got a decent reply please.

Don't want sarcastic remarks ipf. Just some advice.
Yet again I come on here and get some stuck up pr### replying., but no real help.
I don't do a lot of commercial stuff.
Someone else got a decent reply please.

Not sarcastic, FACT. How the hell can anyone give you an explanation when they can't see the job to examine it. Do you want a bleedin' clairvoyant ?
One thing for starters.....what do you think this triangular cable might be ?

A proper charmer too........with a very nice turn of phrase.

If u look at the op u will see that I have explained that SWA to me always looks way smaller than size it actually is. So I really wanted an explanation as to why this is the case. But dw. I will talk to real people who don't mind someone asking for some advice. I don't know why I bother on this sit anyways. It seems u have to explain everything perfectly and justify the cause of ur query. I'm not one to sit on forums writing essays all night. I just want a quick answer sometimes or a point in the right direction.
Got better things to do tbh.

Well thank god for small mercies. Archly styrigg gave me just what I wanted.
A quick reply and what a great answer.
Thanks . Very much appreciated.

I just wish other members were as helpful.
Some people seem to think that if u don't know everything there is to kno about our industry then there is something wrong.
But in my experience of not just electrical work but life in general, you learn something new every day.

Well thank god for small mercies. Archly styrigg gave me just what I wanted.
A quick reply and what a great answer.
Thanks . Very much appreciated.

I just wish other members were as helpful.
Some people seem to think that if u don't know everything there is to kno about our industry then there is something wrong.
But in my experience of not just electrical work but life in general, you learn something new every day.

Well you better get your hacksaw out, then.

Reply to Three phase cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net