Currently reading:
Three-phase circuit breaker size calculation help

Discuss Three-phase circuit breaker size calculation help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

ta-electrical

Hi, i'm a little confused about the way to calculate the amp of the circuit breaker for a three-phase system.

If i have a power of 11.5 kW and voltage of 400V, what size circuit breaker is needed for three-phase system.

My calculation was 11500/(1.732x400) = 16.6 Amps per phase ... 16.6 x 3 = 49.8 Amps, so i need a 50 Amp breaker.

Please, tell me if i worked this out correctly, if not show me how it should be calculated and state the required circuit breaker size i need.

Thanks in advance.

I would have thought the 16.6 is in amps per phase so if there are a total of three phases you have to multiply it by three ? (This is what was confusing me)

There are not going to be individual circuit breakers, just the one.

It's an air compressor in a workshop, it wasn't a balanced load i.e. it required a neutral as well.
Origanally, i had used a 32 Amp type C but, it tripped instantly afterwards, i was told it requires a 50Amp breaker type C, which worked.
I'm not sure how 50Amp was calculated, the only way that made sense to me was to multiply by 3 (refer to original post), and this is where my confusion is.

Thanks for the replys, i hope you can clear my mind on this one.

ta I have to assume that as it's a large compressor it is star-delta connected, When you say you fitted a 32amp C breaker and it tripped have you connected it right ie star-delta, because if you haven't and connected to the wrong contactor so it is delta-star it would easily trip.

If you have connected it correctly is the star-delta timer an adjustable one, again if it is then you could be running on star start up to long, so look at that, or even look at a faulty timer.

Finally as widdler suggest is it 11.5kw per phase which in pit terminology make it a FBC ............... F big compressor.

i can't see the motor being 11.5kw /phase. the fact that a 32A C is tripping leads me to believe that the motor is goosed.

@malcolm, yes it is star-delta and i would assume it is connected correctly otherwise the 50Amp breaker would not have worked either. I haven't confirmed whether it is 11kW per phase but, will do so soon as well as checking the timer.

@telectrix, sorry can you elaborate on what you meant when you said 'goosed'? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Three-phase circuit breaker size calculation help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock