Currently reading:
Three-phase circuit breaker size calculation help

Discuss Three-phase circuit breaker size calculation help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

ta-electrical

Hi, i'm a little confused about the way to calculate the amp of the circuit breaker for a three-phase system.

If i have a power of 11.5 kW and voltage of 400V, what size circuit breaker is needed for three-phase system.

My calculation was 11500/(1.732x400) = 16.6 Amps per phase ... 16.6 x 3 = 49.8 Amps, so i need a 50 Amp breaker.

Please, tell me if i worked this out correctly, if not show me how it should be calculated and state the required circuit breaker size i need.

Thanks in advance.

ta-electrical;319032 @telectrix said:
Well.its not in Wikipedia,so its understanble you may not know

I suspect words like knackered and toasted may be more familiar
icon7.png

- ta if it is just 16amps per phase as we originally thought then by putting in a c type 50 amp breaker on the circuit you could run 3 or perhaps 3.5 times the motor design and still not trip the MCB

Have you clamped the motor while it is running ? I agree it should trip out on overload, that is of course if it is connected properly.

Last edited:
Motors aren’t rated per phase it’s the full rating. So work from that.

By the way where are you putting the clamp meter? It should be on the incoming to the starter, not one of the outgoing to the motor.

PS 3MW is a big compressor :sailor:

I know this is an old thread but i had a similar problem at work and i cant work out how the motor vendor did his calculation .is there any good online calculators , the motor was a 55kw 400v 3 phase pf .81 squirrel cage motor DOL and the vendor said 60amp????

Then is the C type 50 amp Breaker suitable for Zs of the circuit ? As it seems if a C wont work then change it for D type is so common without any regard for the supply cable size or starter/ overload ect. As long as it works !
i had to listen to this kind of thing a while back of ov someone in the wholesalers

it was a walk in fridge that kept tripping the MCB at a resteraunt...

so this fella comes in asking for a 16A d curve MCB.....eh i thought....to feed a chuffin fridge...
so i asks him what the Zs was....he didn`t know....hadnt measured it....
good start methinks..

anyway...
his argument was that the chef was going nuts over this fridge tripping out....so he was going to install this d curve..to `eliminate the problem`..and to `cover his back`...
christ...

i explained to him that he would be better `covering his back`..by ensuring he met disconnection times

didn`t listen...off he tootled to fit it

saw him again about a week later....same topic...same wholesalers..

turned out that someone had swapped the 16A MCB for a 6A...and that was the reason it was tripping...

he hadn`t even bothered to look at the rating of the existing MCB before this `upgrade`...

well. it take allsorts......i suppose

Last edited by a moderator:
i had to listen to this kind of thing a while back of ov someone in the wholesalers

it was a walk in fridge that kept tripping the MCB at a resteraunt...

so this fella comes in asking for a 16A d curve MCB.....eh i thought....to feed a chuffin fridge...
so i asks him what the Zs was....he didn`t know....hadnt measured it....
good start methinks..

anyway...
his argument was that the chef was going nuts over this fridge tripping out....so he was going to install this d curve..to `eliminate the problem`..and to `cover his back`...
christ...

i explained to him that he would be better `covering his back`..by ensuring he met disconnection times

didn`t listen...if he tootled to fit it

saw him again about a week later....same topic...same wholesalers..

turned out that someone had swapped the 16A MCB for a 6A...and that was the reason it was tripping...

he hadn`t even bothered to look at the rating of the existing MCB before this `upgrade`...

well. it take allsorts......i suppose

are you one of these people who argues in the wholesales?

Reply to Three-phase circuit breaker size calculation help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock