Three Phase, Four Wire Delta Connections | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Three Phase, Four Wire Delta Connections in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wellandpower

Hi all,

I hope someone can assist me with this. It interests me and I thought this might be the place to ask!

On a generator four wire, 3 phase delta system, which is used commonly in Jamaica and no doubt other countreis in the world, they have connections they can do at three phase, 230V. Thats fine, that is the same as a 3 wire delta, with no neutral.

When you introduce a neutral in the middle of one of the legs, you get half the 3 phase voltage on each side (ie 115 volts if the system was set at 230V) and then between the neutral and the other phase I believe you get 190V.

So a couple of questions, when people connect up this system, they obviously use the single phase, otherwise you may as well have a 3 wire system. So do they only use the 2 x 115V legs, and not the 190V L-N (as is 190V any use for anything?

I have also read that when using a delta system, balancing the load is especially important. Why is it more important in a delta system? and if using a 4 wire delta, if you are taking single phase from one side of the delta, isn't it impossible to actually balance all legs? So does this mean the single phase is only really suitable for very small loads?

Hi all,

I hope someone can assist me with this. It interests me and I thought this might be the place to ask!

On a generator four wire, 3 phase delta system, which is used commonly in Jamaica and no doubt other countreis in the world, they have connections they can do at three phase, 230V. Thats fine, that is the same as a 3 wire delta, with no neutral.

When you introduce a neutral in the middle of one of the legs, you get half the 3 phase voltage on each side (ie 115 volts if the system was set at 230V) and then between the neutral and the other phase I believe you get 190V.

So a couple of questions, when people connect up this system, they obviously use the single phase, otherwise you may as well have a 3 wire system. So do they only use the 2 x 115V legs, and not the 190V L-N (as is 190V any use for anything?

I have also read that when using a delta system, balancing the load is especially important. Why is it more important in a delta system? and if using a 4 wire delta, if you are taking single phase from one side of the delta, isn't it impossible to actually balance all legs? So does this mean the single phase is only really suitable for very small loads?

The phase angle of the three sine waves is 120 degrees. They are additive in the phase and give 240v phase to phase, but only 208v with respect to ground.

You can see the vector wheel which represents the 120 degree difference in phase on the diagram and more info to help you at this site:

Three-Phase

Reply to Three Phase, Four Wire Delta Connections in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net