Time needed to test consumer unit circuits? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Time needed to test consumer unit circuits? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Blackpool

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, how much time is needed to test consumer unit circuits before re-connection to the mains? Is each circuit a 5 or 10 minute job?

Depends on the purpose of the circuit some take longer than others.

water affected kitchen and living room some time ago (now 100% dry), CU isolated. I want power back on so not sure if all circuits need testing because upstairs lights & sockets, garage, etc not affected. so mainly cooker, downstairs lights and sockets, boiler

I suspect whoever does it will want to inspect every accessory on the water affected circuits to check them for damage so this may be time consuming depending on quantity and their location.

I would expect the circuits to be physically tested and visually inspected.

With experience of working in flooded and water damaged homes, the accessories and metal back boxes will be corroded and need replaced. The cables MAY be ok though.

they are not, the water came in through a hole in the ceiling, the metal back boxes and wires are perfect, no corrosion but thanks

You need to speak to whoever is going to do the work.

Crikey, why does NOBODY on forums ever answer a simple question? I asked how long to TEST a circuit? Simple enough. After all, "its just wires and stuff". The key word being TEST, so stick a probe wherever you need to and read off the outcome. And have a visual inspection of the socket or switch ! Jeez ! If someone wants to charge me £30 per circuit, I need to know if the above SINGLE circuit TEST equates to an hours work ! (Clearly not!) Otherwise 'whoever will be doing the work' will NOT be getting the work !

• Disagree
Reactions: DPG
Crikey, why does NOBODY on forums ever answer a simple question? I asked how long to TEST a circuit? Simple enough. After all, "its just wires and stuff". The key word being TEST, so stick a probe wherever you need to and read off the outcome. And have a visual inspection of the socket or switch ! Jeez ! If someone wants to charge me £30 per circuit, I need to know if the above SINGLE circuit TEST equates to an hours work ! (Clearly not!) Otherwise 'whoever will be doing the work' will NOT be getting the work !

You had answers to your questions. And to be honest without seeing the installation and the damage first hand I doubt if anyone would be willing to give a time for the job. It may well not be as straight forward as a routine testing job.

You need to get a quote from a couple of local electricians.

And I'm not surprised you have trouble on forums with the attitude you've just shown.

No electrician worth their salt would just “stick a probe on” and then sign his name to say it’s safe.

There’s more to testing than just, “yeh, you’ve got power... see ya!”

If water has gotten in somewhere you haven’t realised, then there may be problems that you, no offence, being a layman may not be aware of.

The person doing the testing will also have to consider whether the circuits were legal BEFORE the water ingress. You just can't sign things off without testing them fully, since you are accepting legal responsibility for the installation.

Reply to Time needed to test consumer unit circuits? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net