To all domestic electricians in gloucestershire | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss To all domestic electricians in gloucestershire in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stv292

-
Reaction score
Hi, i am willing to pay a good spark £80 a week for a few weeks just to let me work with them to gain expeirience. I am not new to the building trade as i have plastering skills, good 2nd fix woodworking skills, tiling and basic plumbing, but electrics is where i want to be. I have own transport and tools.
I have helped out on a couple of rewires and basic wiring. I have 17th edition, 2392 and eal. I test my own property once a week so i am fluent in testing and have rectified all faults.
Thanks

you may not get any takers as all they will be doing it training the competion,

I would try to get a full time job with a local company and not tell them you are planning on going solo.
This will only work for so long until employers cotton on and stop taking on any adult with an EAL 'qualification' and no experience.
Judging by the way the OP didn't actually say they were planning to go solo but you assumed it, it may have already happened.

Hi, i am willing to pay a good spark £80 a week for a few weeks just to let me work with them to gain expeirience. I am not new to the building trade as i have plastering skills, good 2nd fix woodworking skills, tiling and basic plumbing, but electrics is where i want to be. I have own transport and tools.
I have helped out on a couple of rewires and basic wiring. I have 17th edition, 2392 and eal. I test my own property once a week so i am fluent in testing and have rectified all faults.
Thanks

never pay to play,its not good for you and its not good for anyone else..your doing more bad than good..sorry.its like the old days and a willing to work for food board round ya neck..ffs its 2011..

I'm lost for words!

Start calling up all the local domestic electrical firms in your area, tell them about your on site skills and that your willing to work for a labourers wage for a few weeks to gain electrical experience. Ffs don't pay for it!

Good luck and I hope you get what you need.

Jesus, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw your thread title. Is it even legal for someone to take money from a labourer/employee? I can't believe you want to pay a tradesman plus foot your transport bill to and from work plus get used and abused on site. It doesn't seem right to me, I'm sure if you're persistent someone will give you a few weeks work experience and maybe pay you minimum wage to cover your expenses.

get down the wholesalers around where you live and are happy travelling. pop an advert on the coffee machine offering your services and pop on that your ok at plastering, with the nod from the guy in charge of the shop of course. don`t pay and get paid, if you work and pay someone you will just get mugged off and thats no good for you or anyone else. you have a lot to offer so sell yourself and good luck with the job hunting and experience

also pop a thread in the "electricians unite jobs" section with your location experience etc. don`t pop in your phone number or any personal details as members will pm you for info if they want it

That sounds like great advice, maybe even buy the tradesmen coffees, talk to them while they drink it and hand them a business card at the same time. One of them will feel inclined to give you a few days work sooner or later.

Sound advice from all of the above.

If you were closer to me you could help me out a couple of days this week but of course I'd pay you, not you paying me!

As above get out there and sell yourself, don't sell yourself short or pay anyone for your hard work. If you tell all the sparkys in your area that you've got those quals + can do all the plastering, trust me you will get a phone call in no time.

Thanks

I admire your guts but some may call it stupidity!

I would like to offer a suggestion though, rather than offer to pay someone 80 quid a week for a few weeks why don't you request that members further afield take you for a few days a week at very little expense? Travelling further will be proving dedication by having to make the extra effort in journey time, earlier mornings etc and the person you'd be working for would have no worry of competition.

Can I ask why you've not gone for your assessment with a competent persons scheme yet? If you're fluent in testing you should breeze it... shouldn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
i am already in employment working 4 days on 4 off so cant go full time, will be joining elecsa just want some practicle expierience. £80 isn't a lot in the grand sceme of things, and yes i'm willing to travel

4 days on 4 days off? Fireman by any chance?

Regardless of your full time job tell any prospective employer that your available 4 days at a time and that you are willing to be paid a labourers wage, you'll get something.

I can see where hes coming from, He cant say "I ll work for free" then say Oh by the way i cant do the next 4 days, Cant do this day cant do that day.. You d soon get bored with that.
And he d probably struggle getting on with a agency as well as they like to ring you 10 minutes before the shift starts..
Im sure you ll some takers off the coffee machine if you can plaster tho mate.. Id make it clear tho you ll do "Some plastering" and want to be doing some hands of electrical stuff..
You will find some one who will take the Part Pee...

I admire your guts but some may call it stupidity!
I wasn't sure if the OP was plain old fashioned desperate or if it was an extremely cunning marketing ploy. Either way it worked, everybody so far has been very sympathetic to his situation and I'm guessing if you take the advice given Stv292 you'll get the work experience and a small wage.

Reply to To all domestic electricians in gloucestershire in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net