trust mark | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss trust mark in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Elderly people and or all householders are being advised to choose a trustmark registered tradesman and you get another sticker to go on your van:confused:

its basically to show that you are a trusted bussiness man who does exactly what you agreed within the price you agreed

disadvantages you need to have a contract/purchase order for all jobs over £35 and also a 7 day cooling of period from date of contract or an emergency contract signed etc

I think its worth it. I get quite a few calls due to the trustmark website. 1 or 2 callouts pay back the cost of registering. mainly elderly people and office workers who call me for quotes while they are at work.

I think i pay £65 or 70 through niceic.

It's a complete waste of money. Don't bother with it, it won't win you anymore work. I was in it and it made no difference what so ever.
Live and learn.

If you take the time to speak to most elderly customers, you'll find that they actually don't trust someone who has a van full of logo's. It confuses them and they think it's just a scam to make money. Wisdom does indeed come with age ;)

i dont know the man making me a website said that it would be good to have on the site but thanks for the repplys
just a question dose every one pay around about 800 for the nic a year about 500 to be a member then 400 ish for them to come and drink T and try and find somthing wrong.
i think its a lot to pay for but i think niceic is the only way to go.
or are they ripping me off

i dont know the man making me a website said that it would be good to have on the site but thanks for the repplys
just a question dose every one pay around about 800 for the nic a year about 500 to be a member then 400 ish for them to come and drink T and try and find somthing wrong.
i think its a lot to pay for but i think niceic is the only way to go.
or are they ripping me off

Are you talking about the AC Scheme??

Just a bit confused as your asking about trustmark which is designed for domestic customers then also seem to be talking about the NIC AC scheme are you just trying to cover all aspects? Domestic - Industrial

sorry im ac but like to not have all eggs in 1 basket i have a lot if indust work but i enjoy doing the odd domestic but the pay is not as good
so what you people are saying is that trust mark are for domestic yes
another thing that i just done i dont know if its a bit silly but i had a guy that sold me a space in a planning permision mag which every one gets who apply for planning its a mag which tells them haw to apply etc with all the forms to do it with and its a lot of cash and its a small A4 mag any one else heard of this it will be cambridge 1st one so i wanted to get in there its in other parts of uk i he showed me other mags for other citys.
i have been a sparks for 20year self employed and dont think my old man (who is a spark to) is going to retire so i want to keep him going in domestic which he loved before we got into industrial work

what dose everyone think?

I get more domestic work via my trustmark listing than my my Niceic listing.
The comments re the requirement for a contract and the 7 day cooling off period are not strictly trustmark requirements.
The contract is just good business practice, i do a scope/ written estimate to cover me.
The 7 day cooling off period is a requirement of the 'consumer protection act' ie if you are doing work for a domestic client by default you have given them a 7 day cooling off period. The 'contract' for work to start sooner is simply a letter from the client saying that they acknowledge that they want the work to start sooner and waive the cooling off period. Up to you if you get the letter as it is for your protection (not the customer).

Not so sure about he planning mag,i did have someone in building control asking me if i wanted to have my details put in something similar,he said it was £400 for a 1/4 page,my reply was no ta.£40 maybe,most people go by word of mouth,i have to ask myself is all this money splashed out on advertising ever going to develop into work,well where has my crystal ball gone,i know another sparks local to me and he does no advertising at all and is snowed under,im just going to plaster my van with my details,i might also sign up for the trustmark scheme if i hear enough good opinions on it,but so far on here it seems a bit negative,big companies can swallow up these expenses no problem,but is it worth it for the rest of us?

Reply to trust mark in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net