TT...installing 5/8" rods | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss TT...installing 5/8" rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GLENNSPARK

well...here I am again...this time its installing a TT system utilising 2X 5/8" rods...with the connector..:

[ElectriciansForums.net] TT...installing 5/8" rods
here is the necessary gear as laid out (the 20mm PVC conny isn`t in the pic)

these are the type of rods you need...no 3/8" twigs here (apart from in that bush behind maybe)

site is about 1 1/2 meters away from the house...thats the first one in..now to connect the second onto the first ....and carry on...

still some way to go...

get it brayed in....Robert my assistant uses the fork with a bit of tape to keep the rod steady

thats a length of 10mm CSA G/Y being pulled through a length of conny for main earthing (the conny was dropped into the ground)

Ze was OK at just over 15 ohms...had to change the 16th edition setup in the board...it was configured as a split load 10 & 2....dropped another RCD in it and did it 5 & 5
happy days...:biggrin:

^^im thinking the fast show sketch

as regards Eng54's response (eh hem) to the pictures.
no doubt he`ll show up sometime this evening....
he`ll probably have a moan about summat like.....but i just thought it would be a bit different to the usual 3/8 twigs that some folk just bang in.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the idea of an assistant was for them to swing the hammer?

Would be interesting if you could take a reading a few months down the line.
Tony....if i get the chance...i will....
I didn`t want robert swinging the hammer as he is only still a boy....and i didn`t want him to get caught by it....thats the reason i insisted he use the fork to steady the rod rather than just grabbing the rod with his hand...as he was attempting to do....just in case

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, I don't have nerves of steel like you so I usually dig at least 500mm first with a spade, I've hit too many drains and water pipes in my time so I'm a bit skittish.

Just out of interest don't you get a 2.4 meter rod which would save the need for a coupler? Also did you get 15ohms just testing the rod or was that after it was connected and possibly with parallel paths? If it was just the rod then that's very good ground, we usually need multiple rods or around 10-15 meters depth where I am to get an impedance that low :(

Very nice, I don't have nerves of steel like you so I usually dig at least 500mm first with a spade, I've hit too many drains and water pipes in my time so I'm a bit skittish.

Just out of interest don't you get a 2.4 meter rod which would save the need for a coupler? Also did you get 15ohms just testing the rod or was that after it was connected and possibly with parallel paths? If it was just the rod then that's very good ground, we usually need multiple rods or around 10-15 meters depth where I am to get an impedance that low :(
rod with main earthing attached....its 2 rods connected....
now, the drains were at the opposite side of the garden....the supply is shared...from next door....i assessed the area beforehand...and made the decision to send the rod in where i did......

assessed the area beforehand...and made the decision to send the rod in where i did......

and there i was, thinking that you just chucked it off the roof, blindfold and that;s where it landed. :rockon:​

Reply to TT...installing 5/8" rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back