TT...installing 5/8" rods | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss TT...installing 5/8" rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GLENNSPARK

well...here I am again...this time its installing a TT system utilising 2X 5/8" rods...with the connector..:

[ElectriciansForums.net] TT...installing 5/8" rods
here is the necessary gear as laid out (the 20mm PVC conny isn`t in the pic)

these are the type of rods you need...no 3/8" twigs here (apart from in that bush behind maybe)

site is about 1 1/2 meters away from the house...thats the first one in..now to connect the second onto the first ....and carry on...

still some way to go...

get it brayed in....Robert my assistant uses the fork with a bit of tape to keep the rod steady

thats a length of 10mm CSA G/Y being pulled through a length of conny for main earthing (the conny was dropped into the ground)

Ze was OK at just over 15 ohms...had to change the 16th edition setup in the board...it was configured as a split load 10 & 2....dropped another RCD in it and did it 5 & 5
happy days...:biggrin:

Nice one mate

I was going to ask about drains and that lol, Never had to do a TT I only come across TN-C-S and TN-S lol, reason I was going to ask when digging a trench at my bruvs last year for a sub main to shed I came across all sorts some I wasnt sure of but avoided like the plague once found lol.
Cables, Pipes , concrete footings from an old garden wall wire old pieces of garden hosepipe Black which didnt help identifying it lol which I dug underneath then realised it would pull out lol it was 2 metres long. But when I got nearer the house thats when i started to come across large black pipes or cables then the drains then more cables or pipes some of these were only about 100 mm from surface some of the others were deaper got to say I was lucky not to damage any but as i got nearer the house took my time more the run was about 20 metres across the garden 600mm deep so my ducting and swa is below the lot apart from the one I thought was a main water pipe or cable near to were I had to bring the ducting upto the rear wall of the house

anyway looks like you have given it a good rodding lol

Last edited:
Nice one mate

I was going to ask about drains and that lol, Never had to do a TT I only come across TN-C-S and TN-S lol, reason I was going to ask when digging a trench at my bruvs last year for a sub main to shed I came across all sorts some I wasnt sure of but avoided like the plague once found lol.
Cables, Pipes , concrete footings from an old garden wall wire old pieces of garden hosepipe Black which didnt help identifying it lol which I dug underneath then realised it would pull out lol it was 2 metres long. But when I got nearer the house thats when i started to come across large black pipes or cables then the drains then more cables or pipes some of these were only about 100 mm from surface some of the others were deaper got to say I was lucky not to damage any but as i got nearer the house took my time more the run was about 20 metres across the garden 600mm deep so my ducting and swa is below the lot apart from the one I thought was a main water pipe or cable near to were I had to bring the ducting upto the rear wall of the house

anyway looks like you have given it a good rodding lol
well....as i says the drain runs were pretty obvious...you could see the gully trap....then there was the main water iso...that was in the far corner of the garden together with the drain..the supply was shared from next doors cutout...the tails buggered off through the party wall...
i did dig a `prospective` pit.....
i suppose that means that if i had hit summat live.....well, it would have been prospective ....wouldn`t it...lol...
i knew there wern`t any services there...

Nothing more needs to be said than ...Well Done!! Though for the life of me, with all those power tools you say that you own, .....Why didn't you use a decent SDS hammer to drive them rods in?? A few minutes and you'd of been done and wouldn't leave a bloody big entry hole from all the swinging around of the rod!! lol!!

Nothing more needs to be said than ...Well Done!! Though for the life of me, with all those power tools you say that you own, .....Why didn't you use a decent SDS hammer to drive them rods in?? A few minutes and you'd of been done and wouldn't leave a bloody big entry hole from all the swinging around of the rod!! lol!!
thanks eng....i must say when i saw you looking in here..the suspense was killing me...lol...

The main stopcock was at rear of house at me bruvs in kitchen under sink but the original was under the cupboard beneath that some kitchen fitters bodge 2 stopcocks as the original was stiff, but the suppliers was at the front of the house on the street which we found when my bruv in his infinite wisdom decided and removed a PVC elbow push fit under the cupboard with only the second stopcock isolated
all so I could install a main bond to the water before a water filter and loads of branched off copper pipes with push fit connectors water everywhere would have took 10 mins if he left alone
spent next 10 mins while he was holding it together trying to turn original stopcock in house or main one in street eventually the one under the cupboard behind plinth turned with some grips
He had no need to remove the push fit elbow but did anyway lol now he knows
added a good hour at end of the day just before I was due to go home left him mopping up using all his mrs towels lol
I was reluctant to probe around the cables and pipes in the garden more to tryand find out waht they were, my luck they would have been both so i would have got wet and extra fried!

well i need a decent drill with hammer only....
thats the next thing on the cards...like an SDS max or summat...

The main stopcock was at rear of house at me bruvs in kitchen under sink but the original was under the cupboard beneath that some kitchen fitters bodge 2 stopcocks as the original was stiff, but the suppliers was at the front of the house on the street which we found when my bruv in his infinite wisdom decided and removed a PVC elbow push fit under the cupboard with only the second stopcock isolated
all so I could install a main bond to the water before a water filter and loads of branched off copper pipes with push fit connectors water everywhere would have took 10 mins if he left alone
spent next 10 mins while he was holding it together trying to turn original stopcock in house or main one in street
eventually the one under the cupboard behind plinth turned with some grips
He had no need to remove the push fit elbow but did anyway lol now he knows
added a good hour at end of the day just before I was due to go home left him mopping up using all his mrs towels lol
I was reluctant to probe around the cables and pipes in the garden more to tryand find out waht they were, my luck they would have been both so i would have got wet and extra fried!
your too qualified for this line of work Carl...
lol...

Tony....if i get the chance...i will....
I didn`t want robert swinging the hammer as he is only still a boy....and i didn`t want him to get caught by it....thats the reason i insisted he use the fork to steady the rod rather than just grabbing the rod with his hand...as he was attempting to do....just in case

Leave it for 12 month or more to go back and check, If that rod isn't down to around 10 ohms, something is very wrong.
Better still, if you can monitor it 2 or 3 times a year, for the next 3 years. You'll get to see what i've been talking about on here all this time!! lol!!

Leave it for 12 month or more to go back and check, If that rod isn't down to around 10 ohms, something is very wrong.
Better still, if you can monitor it 2 or 3 times a year, for the next 3 years. You'll get to see what i've been talking about on here all this time!! lol!!

He'll be retired and off to his retirement gaff in the Bahamas before then !!

Reply to TT...installing 5/8" rods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back