Type D MCB in domestic install? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Type D MCB in domestic install? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mmax6870

Hi All,

Just wondered if Type D MCB's are generally used in domestic installs, as I have been presented with a fancy light fitting to put up, which states in the instructions, that a Type D is required. Customer was not advised when purchasing the unit, that this was required!
I have never needed to fit one before, so would welcome your views.

I qualified as a spark in July and registered Part P in November, so likely to be asking loads of questions as time goes on.

Cheers

I bet its one of those multi light wound transformer jobbies, if so they will keep tripping the mcb when turned on. I did not want to change the mcb on the last one as the earth loop was too high so i managed to get a feed from a socket and put it on a fcu as could not get it back to the cu, seemed to be ok on 1362 fuse though.

Instructions are instructions, generally to follow!!
Remember, all of the other points on the circuit would be fed from the same breaker. Good advice from needa and Tony (more info would be useful).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses,

Not fitted it yet, as wanted to get some views first, so not sure on Zs value.

You are indeed correct needasparks regarding the wound transformer and I was thinking the same Howard, which is why I asked the question.

TNCS, Upstairs lighting circuit, RCD protected, max 500W total running on all other outlets. This unit has 180W running through it.

Cheers

ps. Just heading down the pub, so may not respond this evening......probably not a good idea anyway after a few shandys.

I would be asking customer to send the light back. A 6a MCB D curve could run happily at between 60 to 120amps for long enough for the house to burn down before it trips if overloaded.

Cheers.........Howard

That's not too much different from a standard Yank domestic breaker!! Just as well there NEC doesn't call for too much in the way of testing!!...lol!!!

I had a big chandelier jobbie with 20 lamps and a wire wound transformer. Had to run a dedicated circuit and put it on a type D. Customers will insist on buying these things and thinking it will just replace a ceiling pendant without a thought for loading issues.

Reply to Type D MCB in domestic install? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net