Unbalanced final ring | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Unbalanced final ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

it is best to run on leg 1 4mm cable to the cluster of high current drawing sockets and then 2.5mm for the rest.
The best way is to design it properly in the first place.

I also ran the numbers for another example ring, 101m long, 20A cable rating, 20A spot load at exactly 1m along one leg. I won't reproduce all of the working outs, but initially: 19.802A through the short leg, and once the cable had heated: 19.763A. Almost nothing in it.

Unless method 101 for example, where max ccc permitted for 2.5 t&e is 17Amps, it becomes an issue!
For clarity, my posts in this thread focus on the original question, regarding the effect cable heating may have on the flow of current through an unbalanced ring. My examples show how the current may be distributed through the circuit under certain unusual loading situations, before and after cable heating, and my last example shows that under the stated specific circumstances, cable heating has almost no effect on that.

Reply to Unbalanced final ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net