Unbelievable dressing! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Unbelievable dressing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm in awe! Who needs a woman? This is what makes me orgasm!!!

Cat 6 amazing dressing and termination - YouTube

Seriously though, how on earth do people dress cables this well?!? What tools are they using?

If any of you on here are this good, present yourself to me now! I need to learn from you!

p.s. Merry Christmas! :)

By todays accepted poor standards, that is stunning, but it's nothing special.

All telephone cables in GPO phone exchanges used to look like that in the 50's 60's 70's.
BUT they were laced with continuous waxed twine which also had to look neat.

Whoever did the Cat 6 does nothing but that all day, week, year long.
And was probably female.

Reminds me of those vast MICC installations that you see at petrochem processing plants. Lot's of planning and craftsmanship are needed in all these types of installations. As snowhead quite rightly stated this was pretty much the standard in the old GPO telephone exchanges of yesteryear.

Always a pleasure to see, no matter when it was instaled mind!!

Seriously though, how on earth do people dress cables this well?!? What tools are they using?

If any of you on here are this good, present yourself to me now! I need to learn from you!

most of that harness will have been tied together loosely....then put into position....once in place the cable ties will have been nipped up....

I remember in my apprenticeship my journeyman made me remove cabling that had taken me a full day to install because the tracers on the sheaths weren't all in straight lines. Probably because installations in days gone by were expected to last decades but nowadays nothing is expected to be there for more than a few years so you rarely see the time and skill invested in the standard of installation nowadays.

I remember in my apprenticeship my journeyman made me remove cabling that had taken me a full day to install because the tracers on the sheaths weren't all in straight lines. Probably because installations in days gone by were expected to last decades but nowadays nothing is expected to be there for more than a few years so you rarely see the time and skill invested in the standard of installation nowadays.

Think it's as much to do with general lowering of work practices and cost cutting myself!!
Expectations of a completed installation, isn't anything like it once was, either by the client or the company installing systems these days, .....and it shows!! lol!!

All telephone cables in GPO phone exchanges used to look like that in the 50's 60's 70's.
BUT they were laced with continuous waxed twine which also had to look neat.

Whoever did the Cat 6 does nothing but that all day, week, year long.
And was probably female.

I remember back in the 60's using waxed twine and shellac to stop the knots coming undone when bundling the cables in the instruments we made and I remember also thanking the Lord on the day the boss bought a bag full of the new fangled plastic cable ties too !!

We never went back to using waxed twine ............... AND I AM NOT FEMALE!! ;)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everybody - except the pillock who started the Annoying Message Removal thread! ;)

A cable Comb. If you look at at couple of the links on the You Tube page, there is a video of a guy using one. Great tool.

Now this is the last load of cat6 cables I terminated. I thought I did a reasonably good job, nothing in comparison to what was shown in the video, but ok in my opinion.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Unbelievable dressing!

Essentially, what you're saying in your above statement is that what is shown in the video is mediocre at best and anything less is crap. Makes me kinda upset to be honest that you're alluding to my work being rubbish and to me having poor standards.

Last edited:

been there done that also did the same with control wiring in the military.
only in the navy it was cord lacing and lacquered we didn't have zip ties then

Reply to Unbelievable dressing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net