undersized cable provided by electric hob/cooker manufacturer? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss undersized cable provided by electric hob/cooker manufacturer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

impish15

Trainee
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a little confused, probably something I am missing.....

I have just wired in a 7.4kw Neff V57THQ4L0 N70 Vented Hob. I ran a supply of 6mm from the board for the hob. My confusion is why the manufacture has provided a 1.5mm cable for me to wire this into the cooker connection unit. Is this common practice? Isn't the cable provided from the manufacturer massively undersized?

Many thanks

Yes. It’s common practice.

We are trained to use diversity with high loads, and take the rated full load of the appliance….

However, the hob itself may have electronic load management built in… it will never take the full load, or anything near the CCC of the cable

Can you post the installation instructions? Can’t find them online.

Yes. It’s common practice.

We are trained to use diversity with high loads, and take the rated full load of the appliance….

However, the hob itself may have electronic load management built in… it will never take the full load, or anything near the CCC of the cable
Ok thanks for confirming. I wasn’t aware of this. Many thanks

Is it a 5 core with parallel L+N? This is quite a nifty solution imo and far nicer to work with than 4mm flex.

If the hob is 7.4kW rated it won't be managing the load down from that, I've seen 5 ring hobs that manage the load to 3 kW, complete with plug top, complete junk IMO.

I've always wondered why more use isn't made of parallel runs.
I guess it's normally only really worth while for larger things. It's much easier to run 2x 150mm2 4 core SWAs than 1x 300mm3 SWA for example. The cable costs are higher buying 2 cables but if it saves a lot of effort or the routes are difficult for stiff cables it is worth it. On a smaller scale I do have a 4H4 MICC feeding a small single phase distribution board in my house, with the conductors paralleled, though this was mainly as the cable was to hand. The main drawback is it's a big problem if one core gets disconnected.

Reply to undersized cable provided by electric hob/cooker manufacturer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net